Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel awful ( birthday party )

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sons birthday is on the 25th. Money is super tight and I cant really afford a big party plus gifts for him. I feel like the most horrible parent alive. He keeps telling me he wants to invite all his friends from school. But all I can do is have him a little party at our house with his friend from the neighborhood, hopefully his step sister will be able to come, and 2 cousins. Plus grandparents & his great aunt & uncle. Does everyone always throw their child a big birthday bash even though the finances aren't great?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Replies (11-14):
AmberRose1122
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
My son gets a big party every other year, period. We may break that rule this birthday because we live in a home triple the size we had before (we couldn't ever have a party at our house because it was too small...which made it too expensive).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

You can throw a big party at home pretty cheap. Has it snowed there? Do you have a yard? If there is no snow, have a fall party outside in your backyard. Invite the whole world. 

Box of cake mix and frosting is $4 total if you already have a couple eggs at home. Get another thing of frosting in a diff flavor and write happy bday kidname on the cake.

Block of cheese for $3, box of crackers for $2, chop the cheese to cubes, tada, $5 cheese and cracker tray

2 big bags of chips for $3 each go in a bowl. Grab some sourcream $2 and stir in some onion and garlic seasoning that you probably have at home. Chips and dip for $8

Apples are in season. You could take your son to an orchard as a treat and pick a huge sack of apples for $10. Grab some caramel (maybe $6 at most to cover 20 apples) and use popsicle sticks to make caramel apples. Cover them in sprinkles and put them in a halloween gift bag. Tada. You now have goody bags for the kids to take home.

Let the kids run wild in your yard and munch on food. Grab some plain white paper plates and a 36 ct of forks from the dollar store. Bring the radio outside for music. 

You CAN have a big party with a ton of friends for under $30. That can be your gift to your son.

Ms.Rios11.28.05
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree! You can buy streamers and balloons for a couple bucks at the dollor store along with walmart brand chips, dip and a Little ceasars carry out pizza and you have a party!! I really don't think kids are as picky about bday parties as we think they are ;) We've always done modest parties (especially compared to some of my friends that throw expensive ones at gymnastic places, ect) and my kid has always had a blast. If you are creative and put effort into it you can do a really nice bday party for not much money.

Quoting romalove:

Why can't you have the "big" party at home he wants without spending a lot of money?

Make cupcakes at home yourself, a few bags of chips or pretzels, and play games with them.  No special magic involved.  You can do the whole party for under $30 if you plan it right.  If you need help, PM me and I'll give you guidance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone.. I should have added that he's turning 6 & our house isn't big enough for alot of kids so i'd have to rent a place. As far as outside it will depend on weather, its been in the 40's here.  If I do have it someone thats rented are parents expected to be fed to or just the kids?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)