Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I feel awful ( birthday party )

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

My sons birthday is on the 25th. Money is super tight and I cant really afford a big party plus gifts for him. I feel like the most horrible parent alive. He keeps telling me he wants to invite all his friends from school. But all I can do is have him a little party at our house with his friend from the neighborhood, hopefully his step sister will be able to come, and 2 cousins. Plus grandparents & his great aunt & uncle. Does everyone always throw their child a big birthday bash even though the finances aren't great?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM
We always have the family over. Everyone usually brings a dish to any family party to help with costs.
mommy2nicky07
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:28 AM
My sons birthday is on Wednesday and we are not throwing him a party either. He doesn't seem to mind. We will do something as a family and probably order a pizza :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

The way I see it, you don't have to do both party AND gifts. The party IS your gift. Getting another gift is great but not necessary. I think teaching your child that a party IS a gift goes a long way in the appreciation and gratefulness department.

I choose not to do big parties or lots of gifts every year because I find it extravagant and showy. It's just not my style.

GLO682
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

No. i stopped throwing big birthday parties a long time ago.

cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I would just have something really small if you can't afford it. I so would love to see wheer exactly it says that you have to throw your kids a great big party every single year.

FebPenguins
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Now is the chance to teach your child how finances work. Age appropriate of course, also not to make him feel guilty, just that money doesn't grow on trees. Maybe have him help plan the party of his dream, then price it out. If you have a budget of say $100, let him choose what to cut.

BTW: DD5, DS2, we have been going to a hotel for a night (around $100) so they can play in the pool. That has been our parties.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Why can't you have the "big" party at home he wants without spending a lot of money?

Make cupcakes at home yourself, a few bags of chips or pretzels, and play games with them.  No special magic involved.  You can do the whole party for under $30 if you plan it right.  If you need help, PM me and I'll give you guidance.

MisUnderstood04
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Is there a way for you to bring treats to his school? That would be like a party. We have big parties usually but only because our family is so big
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
What you have planned sounds fine. Just explain to him that he'll have fun with his family this year and maybe next year you'll do something bigger. My kids have had a few parties where the whole class was invited. Both were a total bust and a huge waste of money.
angelcatia
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Nope, usually it is just my mom, older sister, her two kids, my mom's parents, me and dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)