Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That was an awkward call....Update

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM
  • 50 Replies
7 moms liked this

Yeah, had to leave a message with the peds office.  See my 5 yr old came to me shortly after bed time on friday... 

"mom, I have a penny stuck in my throat."

"What? Wait, You swallowed a penny?"

"Yeah" (dd is crying and swallowing, luckly NOT choking)

So I halfway start to panic and my MIL tells me that we are not going to get it out of her throat, and gives her a glass of water.  I call the ped, they said we did the right thing and to "check her bowl movements for the next 48 hours to make sure it passes, and to give them a call on Monday to let them know.)

Saturday, no poop.  

Sunday, poop, no penny

Monday, so far no poop.. but I cannot really follow her around at school and wait for her to poop either.  

So I call the ped and let them know that yes indeed I did sift through dd's poop and came up penniless, and what they wanted to do from there...

Sigh.. You know, there are so many things people neglect to tell you about motherhood, now as I sit and think about it.. I'm not going to warn dd when she is older and having kids that she may very well have to sort through one of her own dear children's poops looking for loose change... now I realize.. that moments like these are best left for surprise.... so when she calls me in a panic 20 yrs from now because jr swallowed a penny, I can laugh and tell her where to buy rubber gloves. 

Update:

Well she had an xray this morning, and the penny was in the home stretch, so it should come out any time.  We did also find out that she is very constipated, so she is on a laxative, and now I need to monitor her fluid intake closely for a while see if that helps. SHe really does not like the laxative they gave her, and right now, she associates the laxative with eating the penny, hopefully that deters her in the future!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirchard
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Michellina11234
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

lol

LovelyJay512
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stykir
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

lol, i think i would be terrified if that happened and my parents hadn't told me their poop story. My dad always tells us how he had to go in a coffee can so his mom could look through it to find the penny he swallowed. Because of that, i don't let my kids play with coins. and if it DID happen, i wouldn't be so scared i think! i think that's one of those things you ought to share so it doesn't happen to others!

tansyflower
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

my dad's friend used to feed me pennies in exchange for graham crackers as a child O.o

lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Its not funny that they swallowed a penny, but its funny how you wrote this!!!! I'm sorry momma. But be glad it wasn't a pair of diamond earrings.......

RLT2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't know what your talking about. My life as a mother is filled with glamour and excitement, I.....................hold on, sigh, my dd 3 just showed me al the cereal she's stored in her panties like a squirrel! Like I said: glamour and excitement

anitarichman
by Anita on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

My dh swallowed a STAPLE when he was 5!  LOL... His mother had to strain his poop looking for it. She found it.  OMG! 

jesistar6910
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Haha. That's funny, and thank you for the warning!

MamaJane
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Lmao! Way to find humor in a shitty situation ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured