Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (301-310):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Walk a mile in my Smile

HeathersForever
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

That is a fucked up thing to give a kid. I mean honestly I don't want to explain to my son when he is old enough to read, but not old enough to even know the details of everything sexual in the universe the abortion debate. I am pro-choice, but would never personally have an abortion unless my life was in danger. But how fucking awkward is this?

Gabriel is 19 months old now but I'm picturing Gabriel 8 years old reads balloon asks me about it, wtf do I say? "Well honey, sometimes a mommy and a daddy make a baby like you know about, but then it's not the right time so they do this procedure called an abortion, and let me sit down and draw you a map of how they do it..." WTF....I AM NOT GETTING INTO THAT!!! Fucking stupid balloon.

Fuck them and their stupid ballons. I would be PISSED. My child can find out about that sort of stuff when he is old enough to understand things like rape, and whatnot, and understand the smut in the world. I would like to keep him innocent as long as possible. I am not gonna tell him at 8 "Well honey mommy is a rape survivor herself, so I am very pro choice, oh what is rape? Well..."

FUCK THAT.

QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:16 AM
That's like handing a kid a balloon that says be happy your mom didnt swallow. Everyone would be all up in arms over that shit.

The message doesn't offend me. Giving it to kids does. I am pro choice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Dude try living in Nebraska lol every town has a sign that has something like this and although I'm not for abortion I'm also not against it. It is shoved down our throats constantly and I find it annoying. My mom even recently posted a picture of my 12 year old and 24 year old brothers holding signs that say "abortion kills children " Totally rubbed me the wrong way ...there are too many factors that can /do make someone choose abortion and I have a big problem with them being close minded when it comes to that...easy to judge when you've never been in that position or known someone who has been in that position.
Regina_Falange
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I think I love you .... Just a smidge. Lol :-)

Quoting QueenBof6:

That's like handing a kid a balloon that says be happy your mom didnt swallow. Everyone would be all up in arms over that shit.

The message doesn't offend me. Giving it to kids does. I am pro choice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I think people are too easily offended.  If you don't like it as a message for chosing to not kill a baby, take it as a simple "be happy you are alive" and let it go.  Could be worse.  I've seen much worse ways for people to make a statement about something they believe in.  And even worse than that for other things, like t-shirts and such.  If you are that concerned about stuff like that, pay better attention to what your kids are being given by strangers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

YEP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 60 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM

The balloon itself doesn't bother me...

The fact that someone would give it to a child does.

lizziebreath
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:40 AM

It is kind of a discussion that we all get to have with our kids eventually,just try to find a way to use it as a teaching tool to present what your beliefs are like if they had handed them a thing on being Hari Krishna or a marriage equality sticker or a t-shirt saying meat is murder. Lots of things get pushed on kids just think of them as teaching moments. Maybe since it doesn't mention abortion specifically you could spring board into something on contraception which is not as heated and a little easier to explain to an eight year old if they ask.

I'm extremely pro-life but usually take more of an assist women who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy kind of person.You know how to get housing,food,education,medical care or adoption services with varying degrees of openess not slogans or pictures of dead babies.

But I will say that as far as slogans go this is pretty mild and not really offensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN