Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
Regina_Falange
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Right, the other balloons had sayings on them, mostly the name of the business that we got them from, or a picture of a ferris wheel or fair type stuff. So all I noticed at first was the smiley face......

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Now they're left possibly having to explain abortion to young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't see a problem...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeepJeep
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I am pro-choice and don't see the big deal. However, it takes a lot to offend me. I am a firm believer in freedom of speech regardless of whether or not I agree with what's being said. As long as that balloon didn't come to life and attack a child I am not bothered in the least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I don't know about you but I cannot always censor every little thing that happens around and to my kids. Like when they are with someone else, or just ahead of me by their teen brother. That is a very adult thing to put on a child's balloon.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cpdsptchgrl
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
The parents only have themselves to blame if they aren't paying attention

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless of how I feel. I think everyone should have the freedom to express it. I think targeting young children as the recievers of your message is highly inappropriate though.

RLT2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It's wrong to just hand it out to kids like that. Pro lifers wouldn't appreciate people just handing out balloons to kids that said "Your body, your life-Pro choice"  right? it's just sneaky

mstricey
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
That is uncalled for on a ballon meant for kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beautiful.GIRL1
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Im not a fan of this. Especially not at a fair. These types of things shouldnt be exposed to kids. That is an adult deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN