Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (321-330):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Umm.. you probably got that from an anti-abortion booth. We have them all the time at fairs here in Kansas. I don't find anything wrong with it. You should be happy your mother chose life, it not it said "that bitch killed her baby" and a mom that had an abortion was carrying it around. If you drive through Missouri and Oklahoma they have signs everything that are pro-life and pro-marriage. To each their own, either way if you didn't like the balloon you should have taken it from your child and explained why. It is not the worlds job to shelter your kids from something you found offensive. What you found offensive someone else may have loved. Be the parent and explain it to your children. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I don't think it was inapproiate at all. She had the option to take it from them, she had the option as their parent to explain it and it had to have come from a anti-abortion group that had a booth there anyways. It is not anyone elses job to shelter her kids but hers. I would let my son have it, he should be happy we has a life shouldn't he? Offensive would be handing ballons that said "I killed my baby" to mothers to decided to abort. They are putting their views on the balloons, it is the parents decision whether or not they inform their children or let them have it.

Quoting QueenBof6:

The balloon was inappropriate to give to a child.

Imagine a balloon that said be happy your mom didnt swallow or something along those lines.

It's not the message itself that's shitty it's the delivery. Children should not be targeted by pro life or choice anything at all ever, to carry around their message.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Fucking seriously? You are so hell bent on keeping your right to kill that you find a balloon rude? LMAO

ncohetero
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:27 AM
It's definitely a bit rude. Don't know if I could walk around with like that. I know you didn't read it ahead of time. But at least you eventually did. Not cool to have kids walk around making that statement. They don't know what it means.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baileymarie723
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Next time you will pay more attention to what they are getting. At least it didn't say "Smile your mom didn't abort you". I think that would be more offensive.
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Who explains pro life/ pro choice to their children? I'm not sure how old they are but that's not a topic that should be thrust upon a parent to discuss with their children. I agree she could have and did take the balloon away. But who expects such an adult message to be on a god dam balloon.

It would be pretty upsetting to someone if their kid got handed a ballon that said practice safe sex with a condom logo on it. Or legalize marijuana, prostitution or gay marriage . Or some other kind of nonsense. The fact that this carries such a big message and its not targeted at the the proper audience is the issue.

I really don't care who is pro choice or pro life. We are letting our kids in on adult issues at way too young an age and stealing their innocence.

And I wonder how those people would have felt I'd she did catch the ballon message before she walked away and handed it back to them with her view. I'm sure that would have offended them
Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it was inapproiate at all. She had the option to take it from them, she had the option as their parent to explain it and it had to have come from a anti-abortion group that had a booth there anyways. It is not anyone elses job to shelter her kids but hers. I would let my son have it, he should be happy we has a life shouldn't he? Offensive would be handing ballons that said "I killed my baby" to mothers to decided to abort. They are putting their views on the balloons, it is the parents decision whether or not they inform their children or let them have it.

Quoting QueenBof6:

The balloon was inappropriate to give to a child.

Imagine a balloon that said be happy your mom didnt swallow or something along those lines.

It's not the message itself that's shitty it's the delivery. Children should not be targeted by pro life or choice anything at all ever, to carry around their message.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Fucking seriously? You are so hell bent on keeping your right to kill that you find a balloon rude? LMAO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baileymarie723
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM
DH was adopted, and he is VERY grateful his biological mom chose life for him. His adoptive parents are so wonderful that he never wanted to try and find his birth mom. I personally would LOVE to tell his birth mom "thank you for choosing life" because if she had gone the other direction I never would have gotten to meet and marry such a wonderful man.

Quoting Destiny907:

Well------------it IS the truth.  A fetus IS a future kid.  And if the mother had "chosen her freedom" or whatever, that fetus could also have been a kid enjoying the fair someday....

More gals should just adopt out the poor  baby if they do not want it.  Yes, it's hard I would think, but wouldn't it be easier than disposing of it? Like it was an animal one just put down?  It's human after all.  Just unformed completely yet.

sorry, but I am pro- give the kid a chance. MOST adopted kids go on to be happy they were born.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
baileymarie723
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Actually my DD received something pro-choice from some event thing we went to once that said exactly what you said in your comment. The stuff was in a bag that my DD had grabbed. I seen that it had something to do with pro-choice and I am pro-life, and it didn't bother me in the least because my DD had no idea what it meant and just like the items that came in the bag. She couldn't read at the time so when she asked me what it said I just made something up. If it happened now that she can read I would blame myself for allowing her to grab the bag knowing it was a pro-choice stand. I probably wouldn't let her grab something from a pro-life stand either since either one would need an explanation of abortion, and I don't want her to know about that kind of stuff yet, but it wouldn't be the fault of the vendor if I did have to explain it to her since I am her mom and I am responsible for the stuff she grabs at a place that has vendors like that.

Quoting RLT2:

It's wrong to just hand it out to kids like that. Pro lifers wouldn't appreciate people just handing out balloons to kids that said "Your body, your life-Pro choice"  right? it's just sneaky

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
RLT2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting baileymarie723:

Actually my DD received something pro-choice from some event thing we went to once that said exactly what you said in your comment. The stuff was in a bag that my DD had grabbed. I seen that it had something to do with pro-choice and I am pro-life, and it didn't bother me in the least because my DD had no idea what it meant and just like the items that came in the bag. She couldn't read at the time so when she asked me what it said I just made something up. If it happened now that she can read I would blame myself for allowing her to grab the bag knowing it was a pro-choice stand. I probably wouldn't let her grab something from a pro-life stand either since either one would need an explanation of abortion, and I don't want her to know about that kind of stuff yet, but it wouldn't be the fault of the vendor if I did have to explain it to her since I am her mom and I am responsible for the stuff she grabs at a place that has vendors like that.

Quoting RLT2:

It's wrong to just hand it out to kids like that. Pro lifers wouldn't appreciate people just handing out balloons to kids that said "Your body, your life-Pro choice"  right? it's just sneaky

I just feel that these are more mature topics, that like you said, require an explanation. I'm definately not ready to have that discussion with my kids yet, too young. I think that by putting it on a balloon, and handing them out, you're targeting small kids. I don't see many adults and teens taking free balloons. I am Pro choice, and I still would not want my kids receiving any pro choice items when they are young. Ultimately, I agree with your last statement, it is in the end the parent's responsibility.

WinningWinning
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

I would have to explain it to my 8yr old.

She would read it & question it & therefore I would have to explain it.

Abortion is an adult matter, not  meant for young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Now they're left possibly having to explain abortion to young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I would have gotten a permanent marker and inserted "quality of" in between chose and life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)