Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (331-340):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 61 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Stealing their innocence? If they have no clue what it means or what it is how is it stealing anything. Nothing is ever a big deal to a child unless we make it that way. You don't have to teach your children anything but if you honestly believe this it the first time their "innocence" has been jeopardized prior to this then you have another thing coming love. The fact remains that your children are exposed to "unfair", "immoral", or "rude" stuff everyday. It is our job as parents to make the decision as to what to do with our children. Why should they have to stop putting it on balloons because you associate them with kids? I am sorry but I see happy 40th birthday balloons, are those for kids too? Are you going to be upset when your child reads that saying off a bumper sticker? Are you going to petition the state of OK or MO for posting billboards with it on there? The message on the balloon is is a moot point, the fact remains that we as parents decide what values we give our children. Regardless of your stand point on the issue, does your child know that she is carrying a balloon with that message? No, they don't so why make it something bigger to them than it needs to be? This mother knew what the balloon said when her child received it and she obviously let her carry it around or else she wouldn't have taken the picture in what appears to be a home.

Whether or not it is acceptable there is nothing that your child won't have shoved on them. There is no way to keep your child from every bad thing nor is there a way to shelter them forever. Innocence has been lost for quite sometime, at this point it is a question to parents as to whether or not to teach them right from wrong and what it all means. If she didn't like it she was more than able to remove her child from the situation as would you be able to do.

Quoting QueenBof6:

Who explains pro life/ pro choice to their children? I'm not sure how old they are but that's not a topic that should be thrust upon a parent to discuss with their children. I agree she could have and did take the balloon away. But who expects such an adult message to be on a god dam balloon.

It would be pretty upsetting to someone if their kid got handed a ballon that said practice safe sex with a condom logo on it. Or legalize marijuana, prostitution or gay marriage . Or some other kind of nonsense. The fact that this carries such a big message and its not targeted at the the proper audience is the issue.

I really don't care who is pro choice or pro life. We are letting our kids in on adult issues at way too young an age and stealing their innocence.

And I wonder how those people would have felt I'd she did catch the ballon message before she walked away and handed it back to them with her view. I'm sure that would have offended them
Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it was inapproiate at all. She had the option to take it from them, she had the option as their parent to explain it and it had to have come from a anti-abortion group that had a booth there anyways. It is not anyone elses job to shelter her kids but hers. I would let my son have it, he should be happy we has a life shouldn't he? Offensive would be handing ballons that said "I killed my baby" to mothers to decided to abort. They are putting their views on the balloons, it is the parents decision whether or not they inform their children or let them have it.

Quoting QueenBof6:

The balloon was inappropriate to give to a child.

Imagine a balloon that said be happy your mom didnt swallow or something along those lines.

It's not the message itself that's shitty it's the delivery. Children should not be targeted by pro life or choice anything at all ever, to carry around their message.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Fucking seriously? You are so hell bent on keeping your right to kill that you find a balloon rude? LMAO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Ya I read it and my mouth dropped open I would not be ok w it
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM
My kids would ask what that means. So I wouldn't bring it to their attention. Much like mommy wants marihuana. Or gay marriage. It opens the conversation.

Maybe it was a little extreme that I said stealing innocence. But I'd like to decide when I talk to my kids about life matters.

And in my state billboards close to schools are not allowed to advertise alcohol or cigarettes. Remember the camel from camel cigarettes. He was a cartoon and people got all ahitty about him being a "kids figure" selling tobacco.

My point really is that these people who handed out this ballon would probably be highly offended by the camel guy, a billboard close to the school, condoms being advertised on a balloon, a onsie that says all daddy wanted was a blow job, you're getting the picture here. The fact that that stuff is not on and that their message is quite hypocritical. I'm not a sheltering parent by any means. But it rubs me the wrong when one message is good but the opposite of that message is bad, offensive etc

Quoting Anonymous:

Stealing their innocence? If they have no clue what it means or what it is how is it stealing anything. Nothing is ever a big deal to a child unless we make it that way. You don't have to teach your children anything but if you honestly believe this it the first time their "innocence" has been jeopardized prior to this then you have another thing coming love. The fact remains that your children are exposed to "unfair", "immoral", or "rude" stuff everyday. It is our job as parents to make the decision as to what to do with our children. Why should they have to stop putting it on balloons because you associate them with kids? I am sorry but I see happy 40th birthday balloons, are those for kids too? Are you going to be upset when your child reads that saying off a bumper sticker? Are you going to petition the state of OK or MO for posting billboards with it on there? The message on the balloon is is a moot point, the fact remains that we as parents decide what values we give our children. Regardless of your stand point on the issue, does your child know that she is carrying a balloon with that message? No, they don't so why make it something bigger to them than it needs to be? This mother knew what the balloon said when her child received it and she obviously let her carry it around or else she wouldn't have taken the picture in what appears to be a home.

Whether or not it is acceptable there is nothing that your child won't have shoved on them. There is no way to keep your child from every bad thing nor is there a way to shelter them forever. Innocence has been lost for quite sometime, at this point it is a question to parents as to whether or not to teach them right from wrong and what it all means. If she didn't like it she was more than able to remove her child from the situation as would you be able to do.

Quoting QueenBof6:

Who explains pro life/ pro choice to their children? I'm not sure how old they are but that's not a topic that should be thrust upon a parent to discuss with their children. I agree she could have and did take the balloon away. But who expects such an adult message to be on a god dam balloon.

It would be pretty upsetting to someone if their kid got handed a ballon that said practice safe sex with a condom logo on it. Or legalize marijuana, prostitution or gay marriage . Or some other kind of nonsense. The fact that this carries such a big message and its not targeted at the the proper audience is the issue.

I really don't care who is pro choice or pro life. We are letting our kids in on adult issues at way too young an age and stealing their innocence.

And I wonder how those people would have felt I'd she did catch the ballon message before she walked away and handed it back to them with her view. I'm sure that would have offended them

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it was inapproiate at all. She had the option to take it from them, she had the option as their parent to explain it and it had to have come from a anti-abortion group that had a booth there anyways. It is not anyone elses job to shelter her kids but hers. I would let my son have it, he should be happy we has a life shouldn't he? Offensive would be handing ballons that said "I killed my baby" to mothers to decided to abort. They are putting their views on the balloons, it is the parents decision whether or not they inform their children or let them have it.

Quoting QueenBof6:

The balloon was inappropriate to give to a child.

Imagine a balloon that said be happy your mom didnt swallow or something along those lines.

It's not the message itself that's shitty it's the delivery. Children should not be targeted by pro life or choice anything at all ever, to carry around their message.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Fucking seriously? You are so hell bent on keeping your right to kill that you find a balloon rude? LMAO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

lmao at your husbands page.  The main theme is gross ,hateful and most important not a bit accuarate.  I would be embarrassed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Regina_Falange:

Shweet! Lol. :) PM me the link when he does!

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband is a conservative blogger and he is going to make your hand and balloon famous! Thanks for the pic! :)

!    

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I don't like it either.  It is clearly pushing someone elses' beliefs on to others.

Hierophant85
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Like that's something people want to go home from the fair and explain to their kids. I'd be offended too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 63 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Are we not allowed to be happy that our mothers chose life? I'm thankful for that, doesn't mean I'm not thankful for choice either. I'm just happy with the choice my mother made.

A.k.a. who gives a fuck?!
amanda81919
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I'm anti abortion, an it pissed me off a little bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

My DD is 8, we've talked about many things; thanks.  My children know to come to me if in trouble, if & when they want to have sex & many other things.  My DD won't be having an abortion w/o my knowledge.

And the ills of abortion?  My children will know what it is & why it is there.  They will know about the procedure but I am not going to talk to them like it is some disgusting, dispicable thing.  I don't like abortion but I will always fight for the choice & will be there if my DD ever feels this needs to be her choice & I won't make her feel awul for it.

I am not choosing to be offended bc I am not offended, it take a lot to offend me.  There is a difference between finding something offensive & something inappropriate. I find it inappropriate to target children.

I don't think a cause should be targeting children, any cause.  It is not appropriate.

Quoting WinningWinning:

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

I would have to explain it to my 8yr old.

She would read it & question it & therefore I would have to explain it.

Abortion is an adult matter, not  meant for young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Now they're left possibly having to explain abortion to young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

happy2bmom25
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I think thats fine. It is no different than getting a balloon with a local politicians name on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN