Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (341-350):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM
I'm sorry you have problems but your needs don't trump other people's needs.
It isn't anyone else's fault that you have problems conceiving.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get offended when we have been trying to have a baby and it isn't working and people feel that is their only option.  Abortion unless due to a medical reason or rape doesn't need to be done.  Selfishness shouldn't be a reason.  It isn't anyone else's fault that you cannot keep your legs closed if your not willing to suffer the consequences.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 64 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Is it not true?

Why be offended by the truth?

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Truth hurt?
WinningWinning
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Just wanted to be clear you feel that way across the board and not just because it's a cause you disagree with.

Thanks for answering my question. I look forward to the other posts you'll be sharing with us regarding additional offenses you experience in the future. 

Quoting CABZS:

I don't think a cause should be targeting children, any cause.  It is not appropriate.

Quoting WinningWinning:

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

I would have to explain it to my 8yr old.

She would read it & question it & therefore I would have to explain it.

Abortion is an adult matter, not  meant for young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Now they're left possibly having to explain abortion to young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I didn't make this post.

Probably wouldn't have even made a post, I would've walked back & told them it was inappropriate to target children & given the balloon back.

I use to be pro-life, I use to be a protests.  I saw the error of my ways.

This is a cause between adults, not children & should stay that way.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Just wanted to be clear you feel that way across the board and not just because it's a cause you disagree with.

Thanks for answering my question. I look forward to the other posts you'll be sharing with us regarding additional offenses you experience in the future. 

Quoting CABZS:

I don't think a cause should be targeting children, any cause.  It is not appropriate.

Quoting WinningWinning:

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

WinningWinning
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Quoting happy2bmom25:

I think thats fine. It is no different than getting a balloon with a local politicians name on it.

There is a little bit of a difference.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Keep my legs closed? So my DH & I shouldn't have sex anymore?  Ok.

I'm sorry for your struggles, those struggles aren't my fault or anyone else's fault.  And unless you know a person & can walk in their shoes you have no idea if their reasoning is selfish or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get offended when we have been trying to have a baby and it isn't working and people feel that is their only option.  Abortion unless due to a medical reason or rape doesn't need to be done.  Selfishness shouldn't be a reason.  It isn't anyone else's fault that you cannot keep your legs closed if your not willing to suffer the consequences.

CorisMom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

It's just not appropriate...especialy to hand to a child!

WinningWinning
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Or just not taken the balloon in the first place?

I wasn't speaking about making an OP, but posting a comment in general. 

One time in Las Vegas along the strip during the middle of the day, my son says "look what that man gave me?"...it was a card with a naked lady on it advertising a strip club. It was my fault for not watching my son close enough and who came in contact with him.

I chose to take him to Vegas. Vegas did not come to me.

Quoting CABZS:

I didn't make this post.

Probably wouldn't have even made a post, I would've walked back & told them it was inappropriate to target children & given the balloon back.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyHarper:

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm failing to see your point.

What was given to your son was inappropriate, the balloon was inappropriate (imo) & targeting children on an adult matter.

I never said the OP had no fault.   Had the OP been paying attention she probably wouldn't have taken the balloon just like had you been paying attention you wouldn't have taken the card.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Or just not taken the balloon in the first place?

I wasn't speaking about making an OP, but posting a comment in general. 

One time in Las Vegas along the strip during the middle of the day, my son says "look what that man gave me?"...it was a card with a naked lady on it advertising a strip club. It was my fault for not watching my son close enough and who came in contact with him.

I chose to take him to Vegas. Vegas did not come to me.

Quoting CABZS:

I didn't make this post.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)