Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was mildly offended by this balloon

We went to the fair last night, and the kids were getting stickers and balloons from all the vendors. Well i didn't pay attention, I was just trying to wrangle my way through the place without losing a kid or a hand. lol So when we got outside I noticed that the balloon had a smiley face, cool. Then I read it... and this is what it said:

I just stared at it with my mouth open for a few minutes. lol. I am very pro-choice..... and this for some reason rubbed me the wrong way. Usually I am THE most happy go lucky, live and let live person. Is it just me or is it borderline rude?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Replies (361-370):
EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I'm prochoice, but I thought it was cute. Way better than the dead fetus pictures they like to hand out everytime I pass the college campus.

jessedark
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

That is just so wrong!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Uh huh. But to compare Vegas to the county fair is silly.

And you should move. I've been to fairs IN Vegas that weren't that gross.

Quoting WinningWinning:

I was visiting the fair last week. I took my 6 year old niece to the new exhibit for children under 12.

There was a rapper performing and we could hear him as if he was right next to us. Every other word was the F bomb, P^&%$, blow job. Later on there was a stabbing.

I agree, the ideal is they are family oriented, the truth is many portions of them are not.

I agree, Vegas has many portions that are dedicated to appeasing the desires and addictions of individuals, as well as offering many family friendly events.

We take our chances on being offended walking out the door.

Quoting Momniscient:

Right.

Vegas is not a county fair. County fair = family

Vegas= vice

Quoting WinningWinning:

Or just not taken the balloon in the first place?

I wasn't speaking about making an OP, but posting a comment in general. 

One time in Las Vegas along the strip during the middle of the day, my son says "look what that man gave me?"...it was a card with a naked lady on it advertising a strip club. It was my fault for not watching my son close enough and who came in contact with him.

I chose to take him to Vegas. Vegas did not come to me.

Quoting CABZS:

I didn't make this post.

Probably wouldn't have even made a post, I would've walked back & told them it was inappropriate to target children & given the balloon back.

I use to be pro-life, I use to be a protests.  I saw the error of my ways.

This is a cause between adults, not children & should stay that way.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Just wanted to be clear you feel that way across the board and not just because it's a cause you disagree with.

Thanks for answering my question. I look forward to the other posts you'll be sharing with us regarding additional offenses you experience in the future. 

Quoting CABZS:

I don't think a cause should be targeting children, any cause.  It is not appropriate.

Quoting WinningWinning:

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

I would have to explain it to my 8yr old.

She would read it & question it & therefore I would have to explain it.

Abortion is an adult matter, not  meant for young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Now they're left possibly having to explain abortion to young children.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charweba
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHA!! That is hilarious!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 66 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Saying she should move is more silly than what she said. 

btw: You're one rude dude.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting WinningWinning:

I was visiting the fair last week. I took my 6 year old niece to the new exhibit for children under 12.

There was a rapper performing and we could hear him as if he was right next to us. Every other word was the F bomb, P^&%$, blow job. Later on there was a stabbing.

I agree, the ideal is they are family oriented, the truth is many portions of them are not.

I agree, Vegas has many portions that are dedicated to appeasing the desires and addictions of individuals, as well as offering many family friendly events.

Quoting Momniscient:

Right.

Vegas= vice

Quoting WinningWinning:

One time in Las Vegas along the strip during the middle of the day, my son says "look what that man gave me?"...it was a card with a naked lady on it advertising a strip club. It was my fault for not watching my son close enough and who came in contact with him.

Quoting CABZS:

I didn't make this post.

Probably wouldn't have even made a post, I would've walked back & told them it was inappropriate to target children & given the balloon back.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Just wanted to be clear you feel that way across the board and not just because it's a cause you disagree with.

Thanks for answering my question. I look forward to the other posts you'll be sharing with us regarding additional offenses you experience in the future. 

Quoting CABZS:

I don't think a cause should be targeting children, any cause.  It is not appropriate.

Quoting WinningWinning:

10, 11, and 12 year olds are having abortions. If this balloon sparks conversations between a mother and child and subsequently educates that child on the ills of abortion and how to not ever be a victim of abortion then I find it to be a good thing.

I think people are choosing to be offended because of the mere fact it it's coming from the Pro-Lifers, Had it been a gay couple holding hands and kissing one another in public and you eight year old asked "mommy, why are those two men kissing each other on the lips?"..you would be fine with it. Correct?

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Then when they do notice it, they can just say "oh, that balloon has something I don't like written on it", lets go find you a new one" and you can dispose of the balloon. Nowhere on the balloon does it say abortion or have anything directly about abortion, it references abortion, but unless you already know what abortion is, a kids not going to pick up on that, so it doesn't make you have to explain it to kids.

Quoting Anonymous:

But then things like this happen, parents are busy.amd distracted, don't notice the balloon.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are allowed to express their opinion, don't like their opinion, don't let your child have the balloon, not a big deal.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I'd move if my county fair were that awful.

Btw: you're one brave anon lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Saying she should move is more silly than what she said. 

btw: You're one rude dude.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting Momniscient:

Right.

Vegas= vice

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

I didn't make this post.

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting WinningWinning:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexgia
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:51 PM
rude!
ARmomOf3
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
lol how stupid to put that on a kids balloon....did u pay for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sewsofun
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM
That's twisted, what if your kids started asking questions they are too little to know the answers to? I am pro-choice but if there was a balloon being handed out to children with prochoice sayings my children wouldn't be getting that and those booth people would be getting an earful from me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Tonya on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Not offended...just annoyed how the propaganda was in a poor environment where it didn't need to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN