Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My Son Isn't In To Sports...And I'm Disappointed ***eta***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies

When you become a mom, especially to a little boy, you get excited thinking about all the sporting events you'll be attending.

Not so with my son. It seems he has very little ambition to do anything, much less play sports.

That breaks my heart.

If you ask my daughter what she wants to do, she'll tell you that she wants to be a doctor and wants to play baseball and be a cheerleader and join the dance team. My son will tell you he wants to work in retail. He's 8!

:(

I love my son, but I just wish he'd have some goal in life.

***ETA***

Thank you to those of you who gave me input. I am not disappointed in my son in the least. He's an amazing little boy. I guess it's just different for me....a lot of kids I've encountered want to be something when they grow up. I don't think he should have his life planned out in the least. If I were to be brutally honest with myself, I think a lot of it is fear he'll end up like me.....I'm in my 30's and just have a high school diploma because I can't figure out what I was to do with my life and I view myself as lazy.....

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

My son isn't either, but we did find out that he is super awesome at fixing things with his daddy. He helped paint and sand and put together his brothers crib, bookcase, and he helped fix my flat tire and put wood floors in. He did carry his tools in his glitter purse his sister gave him but hey you know what it was pretty damn cute seeing my 4yr old use some power tools.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

It will change 50 time in the next years.  And so will his interests.  He may never be too much into sports, but when he reaches Middle School and High School, there will be several different clubs and such where he can explore his options.

I swear my daughter is in sports/club over freaking load.

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
So open him up to other ideas, other things. Do something about it.
Aleta775
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM
4 moms liked this

He's only 8. He has plenty of time to figure out what he wants to do with his life. Lighten the Hell up.

yellownes8
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Omg I will be so disappointed if my son isn't into sports. He's only 5 months now so I have awhile but I keep imagining the day he will play baseball or football or something. My oldest daughter who is 3 had the choice of soccer or dance and she chose dance...I was sad about it. I played a bunch of sports growing up. Maybe my 23 month daughter will choose sports...hopefully!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaynesdean
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Don't force him to do anything, he will find something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yup, I'd be disappointed, too!  I hope he plays football or soccer, and gets outside, and makes friends!  << I know he doesn't have to do all this to make friends and to get outside, but sports forms boys into men.  It is a passion, it creates rules and structure...  I can go on and on about the joys of it all, but I will end it with, I want to be that soccer mom ;)

bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM

You could try broadening the search for interesting activities, music or art classes, science clubs, lego clubs, flying lessons, sailing...there are sooooooooooooooooo many things out there. Help him find his fit mama.

andersongirl562
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Ha when my son was 8 he wanted to be a hobo lol now at ten he plat basketball and football and soccer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this

yes at 8 he should have a life plan,are you serious? let the kid be himself and you join a sports team

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)