Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

700 dollars for a kids birthday????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

i never thought i would be spending this much on a freaking birthday! omgosh. our son is turning 5 and we wanted him to have a big party he could invite his class to and this thing is becomming overwhelming!! we already promised the bounce house and i just find out that there is an extra 30 dollar fee to deliver the damn thing because we are a mile out of their free delivery range! well okay! there goes another 30 dollars. dh doesnt care, he said whatever it takes to throw a nice party. i just hate seeing all this money go for one party! i feel like i have cut as many corners as i could and after presents, i will be very surprised if we make it out all together under 1000 because lord knows last minute things will always pop up!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM
That's about what we spent for Dds first party. It adds up really quick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Even with presents, we have never spent more than $250. It's a waste imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow that's fucking ridiculous. The things people will do. Last year we had a "big party" and didn't even spend $200. This year, we're doing a small party (what do you know, my kid's turning 5) and as far as my budget, we'll be lucky to hit $60, and we still plan on having a blast.

whattodo11
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Ummmm wow! That's a lot ! We did chuck e cheese for the step kids last year and I thought that was expensive! Lol not near your price though! This year we are tighter on money so it is an in home family party.

I bet he will remember this party you are throwing him forever though! what a great mother ! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

It really adds up so FAST.  My daughter is turning 10 in November and we talked about not having a party, just maybe a couple of her friends spending the night.  I had a necklace made for her at the jewelers in rose gold that says "LOVE YOU" since she and I say that to each other 10 times before she goes to bed at night.  SO excited to give it to her!  Have a great party, and I hope you get to sit back and enjoy it!!!

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM
That's about how much I spend on my ds for his birthdays. I don't think its a waste because seeing his happy my little boys face lights up its worth it. Plus after the party last year we also took him to Disneyland and this year we are doing the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

sometimes it does feel like a waste, but then i think if so many strangers will be at our house, i dont want to come off as poor or trashy because we didnt go all out for the party. you may think that might not happen, but judging by how some women on here critisize every single thing about other moms, it seems very likely. we dont have a crappy house or anything, but i dont want to underdo it.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Even with presents, we have never spent more than $250. It's a waste imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I spend about a $1000 every year. Its his day and I want it to be special.

livn4hevn
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I think we spent $150 on a bounce house, about $50 on party favors (dollar store WHUH?!) $60 on a cake and found a decoration box for $20 that pretty much decorated the entire house. We had....15-20 kids? And asked the adults to bring a side dish of some kind
to share.

It was a kick ass party. For about $300.

Have you checked out pinterest? There's some super cheap, good ideas on there that are DIY. It might mean more of your TIME, but def less of your $$$

Kool_Aide
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Yup, that unfortunately sounds about right.

I have 4 kids and all of their birthdays are 2 weeks apart. I know, crazy!!!

We use to throw individual parties for each. This meant buying a birthday package (chuckee cheese, inflatable place, etc.)

Supplying food, gifts, invitations, thank you cards, goodie bags, decorations, and so on. It adds up. After awhile....4 kids parties, all within 6 weeks it was becoming a huge burden.

NOW, we buy them one gift on their actual birthday, I usually bake a cake or cupcakes at home and we rent movies and have popcorn and favorite meal. And, in May I take all 4 kids on a combined birthday trip. Last year we went to Sea World. This next year we are going to Disney World because all 4 are finally old enough to appreciate the park. It oddly enough has saved us a lot of money doing it these way and we get a vacation out of it and serious memories.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)