Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

700 dollars for a kids birthday????

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

i never thought i would be spending this much on a freaking birthday! omgosh. our son is turning 5 and we wanted him to have a big party he could invite his class to and this thing is becomming overwhelming!! we already promised the bounce house and i just find out that there is an extra 30 dollar fee to deliver the damn thing because we are a mile out of their free delivery range! well okay! there goes another 30 dollars. dh doesnt care, he said whatever it takes to throw a nice party. i just hate seeing all this money go for one party! i feel like i have cut as many corners as i could and after presents, i will be very surprised if we make it out all together under 1000 because lord knows last minute things will always pop up!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

the thing is, he wants BATMAN. so the dollar store of course doesnt have that, so we had to order from partycity.com because we dont even live anywhere near a place like that. and all the cakes and decorations look so hard to do! we did make some invitations for his class that i found on pinterest though.

Quoting livn4hevn:

I think we spent $150 on a bounce house, about $50 on party favors (dollar store WHUH?!) $60 on a cake and found a decoration box for $20 that pretty much decorated the entire house. We had....15-20 kids? And asked the adults to bring a side dish of some kind
to share.

It was a kick ass party. For about $300.

Have you checked out pinterest? There's some super cheap, good ideas on there that are DIY. It might mean more of your TIME, but def less of your $$$

katelynsmom22
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

we did the bounce house for my DDs 5th party and she wanted it again this yr.... i was ok with it til i seen an extra $65 charge for delivery that company added this yr.... were doing her party at a new family center (arcade, bowling and lazer tag) and were already at a good 200 with out ordering food for the adults and weve only got 10 kids coming. DH likes to go all out for parties since we didnt get the big parties growing up (biggest thing for one of mine was a clown and I was deathly afraid of clowns, LOL)... In may we did a build a bear party for our 3rd twins)..... i think our total for DDs party in 2 weeks will be close to 300-400 without her presents counted.

JZB
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM
How do you do that? We went to a bounce place and rented the whole thing for $250
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

LOL Shit is expensive!!!! After family which is about 30 people between my husband and I and class friends it is insane!! It's even worse for SD as we do joint parties and that means my family, hubbys family, her moms family and her step dads family THEN all her classmates which she is 8 so we have to invite her whole class, then a few from previous years. UGH So we all compromised and said that we will have big parties every two years for the kids, now every three years as I am about to have baby #2 kid #3 and so is so my step daughters mom.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

we will spends about that much between the two of our girls , they are born a month a part so 2 parts . once each.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

i want to go to disney world so  bad! we looked into it though and we are looking at spending at least 5000 there, so we are going to save up for 2 years that way both kids will be old enough to enjoy it, and we can afford it.

Quoting Kool_Aide:

Yup, that unfortunately sounds about right.

I have 4 kids and all of their birthdays are 2 weeks apart. I know, crazy!!!

We use to throw individual parties for each. This meant buying a birthday package (chuckee cheese, inflatable place, etc.)

Supplying food, gifts, invitations, thank you cards, goodie bags, decorations, and so on. It adds up. After awhile....4 kids parties, all within 6 weeks it was becoming a huge burden.

NOW, we buy them one gift on their actual birthday, I usually bake a cake or cupcakes at home and we rent movies and have popcorn and favorite meal. And, in May I take all 4 kids on a combined birthday trip. Last year we went to Sea World. This next year we are going to Disney World because all 4 are finally old enough to appreciate the park. It oddly enough has saved us a lot of money doing it these way and we get a vacation out of it and serious memories.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM
We gave my daughter a big party at a place with a huge play place, and at least 8 different inflatables. The owner rented out a warehouse, fixed it up and made it a huge play place. We spent $265 dollars, which included 30 people, a party room, pizza and pop. I spent $80 on small gifts for the party goers. It is a loud place and gets crowded, I made sure I booked the last party of the evening to avoid all the crowds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

the place like that here is 45 miles away, we did chuckecheese last year and that was 45 minutes away. only family came, which is pretty much all that we invited. we just cant expect that m any people to drive that far.

Quoting JZB:

How do you do that? We went to a bounce place and rented the whole thing for $250

Kool_Aide
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

It's definitely expensive. My parents have a timeshare in Orlando Florida so we don't have to budget for hotel costs. And, it has a full kitchen so all we need to do is buy groceries and budget for what we will eat at the park. My husband has so many airline miles that weve been saving for this trip so that we can fly all 6 of us there. There has been a lot of planning so that we don't kill our bank account. I'm so excited. only 7 months left.

Quoting Anonymous:

i want to go to disney world so  bad! we looked into it though and we are looking at spending at least 5000 there, so we are going to save up for 2 years that way both kids will be old enough to enjoy it, and we can afford it.

Quoting Kool_Aide:

Yup, that unfortunately sounds about right.

I have 4 kids and all of their birthdays are 2 weeks apart. I know, crazy!!!

We use to throw individual parties for each. This meant buying a birthday package (chuckee cheese, inflatable place, etc.)

Supplying food, gifts, invitations, thank you cards, goodie bags, decorations, and so on. It adds up. After awhile....4 kids parties, all within 6 weeks it was becoming a huge burden.

NOW, we buy them one gift on their actual birthday, I usually bake a cake or cupcakes at home and we rent movies and have popcorn and favorite meal. And, in May I take all 4 kids on a combined birthday trip. Last year we went to Sea World. This next year we are going to Disney World because all 4 are finally old enough to appreciate the park. It oddly enough has saved us a lot of money doing it these way and we get a vacation out of it and serious memories.

squag.mom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Crazy how things add up. That is how it is this year for dd's party

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)