Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

19-Month-Old Shot to Death in Crib While Mom Was Unloading Gun - What do you think the punishment should be here?

Posted by   + Show Post

19-Month-Old Shot to Death in Crib While Mom Was Unloading Gun

Posted by Jeanne Sager on October 8, 2012

gunDid you ever see one of those bumper stickers that insists, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people"? Technically, it's true. That's why a mom who was unloading a gun in her apartment is in jail right now for the involuntary manslaughter of her 19-month-old son.

Holly Pallone told cops she accidentally shot little Anthony Pallone Jr. while she was trying to remove the bullets from a gun that wasn't hers that she didn't know how to unload. Sadly, the gun fired, and the baby boy took a gunshot right in the middle of his forehead. So the gun killed the child, but more importantly, a woman who didn't know how to use a gun allegedly killed the child.

And this case is a prime example of the problem with the entire gun debate.

The gun-lovers and the gun-haters like to talk about the weapons in black and white. We talk about responsible gun owners vs. cold-blooded killers. But as Holly Pallone's tragic tale reminds us, there's always a shade of gray.

Pallone has told cops that she was going to sell the gun, which belonged to the man she and her son were living with, so she was trying to remove the bullets. Unfortunately she was doing so right near her son's crib, and cops say she wasn't doing it safely.

The tragedies that result from the existence of guns aren't always intentional. Often -- more often than we like to acknowledge -- shooting deaths are entirely accidental. They come at the hands of a person who will ultimately be held responsible, but often it's a person who didn't know what they were doing, a person who had no clue what the firearm in their hands could do.

It's people like Holly Pallone. People like the 7-year-old son of a cop who accidentally shot his sister with Dad's gun in March.

This is the line between people who kill people and guns that kill people. Because a gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing can quickly become a lethal weapon, and as the involuntary portion of the manslaughter charge against Holly Pallone reminds us, the person isn't necessarily planning to kill.

This story is a tragedy, plain and simple. And sadly, as long as guns end up in the hands of people who don't know how to use them, these kind of tragedies will continue to occur.

What do you think the punishment should be here if Holly Pallone is convicted of the involuntary manslaughter of her little boy?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Replies (311-320):
alwayskk
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I'm not aware of any such charge as "unlawful manslaughter". All manslaughter is unlawful, not all killing is unlawful. There is manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter but both are unlawful. The difference between manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter is premeditation and culpability.

I'm talking about the legal definitions of the word- they both include the word unlawful.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

theres a difference in unlawful manslaughter and invlountary manslaughter

Quoting alwayskk:

We have to pay attention to the definitions of these legal terms. Both manslaughter and murder have prerequisites- unlawfulness. Not all killing is unlawful. What laws has she actually broken? I'm not saying she hasn't broken any but which?

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

thats what manslaughter covers....its different than murder

Quoting alwayskk:

Let's just say that everything in this story is true...what crime has she committed? Murder refers to unlawful premeditated killing. With the information we have here, we can't say that she murdered the child. Are we going to charge her for being stupid? For lacking in common sense? 

kolbiesmommy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I call bullshit. I truly dont believe this is an accident. Nothing about it sits well with me. I think it's a copout of the charges.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenAndLean
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM
I don't buy it. She made up this stupid story to cover up cold blooded murder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

i just re read it again. it said that it went through the mattress and into the pack and play. it says nothing about right in the middle. i just asked here that was- 

Quoting Memigen:

Apparently you didn't read thouroughly then:

"Sadly, the gun fired, and the baby boy took a gunshot right in the middle of his forehead."

Quoting Anonymous:

where was that? i just read the article. all it says was in the head. it also says that she was planning on selling the gun to a guy that she had bought drugs from in the past.

Quoting Memigen:

I agree.  Especially since the bullet was right between the eyes in the forehead. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it was on purpose and used that as an excuse

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I call bullshit. ANY responsible gun owner will tell you, you treat ALL guns as though they are loaded until YOU unload and clear for yourself. Even if you just saw someone do it.... YOU clear it again. 

And if you know nothing about guns ( clearly in this case) you leave the damn thing alone.

Everyone regardless of age should know this. Hell my 4 year old will knows this!

Noah, is this gun loaded?

Yes mommy.

How do you know?

All guns are loaded unless cleared. 

How do you know that they are cleared?

You take out the bullet holder ( magazine) and open the top to look down it ( clear the chamber and lock the slide to view down the barrel)

This is SOP for most all gun owners....

Memigen
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Did you ever see one of those bumper stickers that insists, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people"? Technically, it's true. That's why a mom who was unloading a gun in her apartment is in jail right now for the involuntary manslaughter of her 19-month-old son.

Holly Pallone told cops she accidentally shot little Anthony Pallone Jr. while she was trying to remove the bullets from a gun that wasn't hers that she didn't know how to unload. Sadly, the gun fired, and the baby boy took a gunshot right in the middle of his forehead. So the gun killed the child, but more importantly, a woman who didn't know how to use a gun allegedly killed the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

i just re read it again. it said that it went through the mattress and into the pack and play. it says nothing about right in the middle. i just asked here that was- 

Quoting Memigen:

"Sadly, the gun fired, and the baby boy took a gunshot right in the middle of his forehead."

Quoting Anonymous:

where was that? i just read the article. all it says was in the head. it also says that she was planning on selling the gun to a guy that she had bought drugs from in the past.

Quoting Memigen:

I agree.  Especially since the bullet was right between the eyes in the forehead. :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

nm- i was just wanted to know where you read it. everything i have read on this just says the forehead, not right in the middle. 

Quoting Memigen:

Did you ever see one of those bumper stickers that insists, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people"? Technically, it's true. That's why a mom who was unloading a gun in her apartment is in jail right now for the involuntary manslaughter of her 19-month-old son.

Holly Pallone told cops she accidentally shot little Anthony Pallone Jr. while she was trying to remove the bullets from a gun that wasn't hers that she didn't know how to unload. Sadly, the gun fired, and the baby boy took a gunshot right in the middle of his forehead. So the gun killed the child, but more importantly, a woman who didn't know how to use a gun allegedly killed the child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Memigen:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Memigen:

Quoting Anonymous:

JocelynsMama1
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

not true ... you can be convicted of involuntary manslaughter for wrecking a car and kiling someone when clearly you werent doing anything unlawful 

Quoting alwayskk:

I'm not aware of any such charge as "unlawful manslaughter". All manslaughter is unlawful, not all killing is unlawful. There is manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter but both are unlawful. The difference between manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter is premeditation and culpability.

I'm talking about the legal definitions of the word- they both include the word unlawful.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

theres a difference in unlawful manslaughter and invlountary manslaughter

Quoting alwayskk:

We have to pay attention to the definitions of these legal terms. Both manslaughter and murder have prerequisites- unlawfulness. Not all killing is unlawful. What laws has she actually broken? I'm not saying she hasn't broken any but which?

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

thats what manslaughter covers....its different than murder

Quoting alwayskk:

Let's just say that everything in this story is true...what crime has she committed? Murder refers to unlawful premeditated killing. With the information we have here, we can't say that she murdered the child. Are we going to charge her for being stupid? For lacking in common sense? 

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

sswogger
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Why do the police believe it was an accident?  It sounds so far fetched to me that she accidentally shot him in the forehead and that she would unload the gun when she had no clue how to.  I think she did it purposely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM

2 years incarcerated, loss of any insurance policies and years of counseling. She is NOT the gray! She didn't know how to use a gun and she should not have been trying to remove the bullets. I myself hate guns, don't know how to use, etc but if I found one, I'd point it away from me careful to not touch the trigger and put it on top a tall piece of furniture until someone who did know what to do could do it. She's a flipping idiot and even worse she was in proximity of her child. This was not an accident. This was just stupid. Poor baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN