Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They made him walk laps

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM
  • 144 Replies

So my son had to walk laps during recess last week because he was out for 2 days. Last Monday the school nurse called to say that he was sick to his stomach, so I went to pick him up (after she gave him crackers to see if that would help, and he started feeling worse). He ended up throwing up all day that day, so we obviously had to keep him home the next day.

So when he got back to school, he was punished!! It wasn't like he was out for no reason. Does this seem fair/right/okay to you? He's 10, btw

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eastcoastmama11
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Hell no! Did you send a note or anything? I mean.. He's 10.. So it's not like he jut skipped school anyway.

I'd be calling the school for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2BBboys0509
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as it was an excused absents then they are completely out of line. If he was throwing up all day,then you had to keep him home.

vixen42
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

that sounds strange to me

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Was it a punishment, or was it something the school does if the kid does not have a doctors note saying he is okay to participate in gym and recess?  When I was in school (long, long time ago), we would have to do that if we had been out sick. We were not allowed to resume strenuous activities until two days back.

I might call the teacher, just to get clarification.

_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My school used to do that as punishment. Check with who made him do it. If they tell you that's why then tell them not to do that again, or maybe he got into trouble and didn't want to tell you why. Idk just guessing here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
5 moms liked this

before jumping off- call the school, ask to speak to the teacher. you need to hear their side also. then if there is a reason to complain- then do so

LucyHarper
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Maybe theres a specific reason why he had to walk laps, like to make up for the missed gym time, so I would talk to them first, but if it was just as a punishment, I would have a problem with that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

was it really a punishment? or was it because they didn't want him throwing up? who told you about it?

fallenangel_353
by Nikki on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Hell to the no! Get your butt on that phone or in your car and do what we mommies do best, raise HELL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Who exactly is making him walk laps? His teacher? The principal? The playground aide? If he is walking in gym instead of doing whatever activity they might be doing that's okay. Having to randomly walk at recess sounds ridiculous. Something is just not adding up or there is part of this story missing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)