Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So my son had to walk laps during recess last week because he was out for 2 days. Last Monday the school nurse called to say that he was sick to his stomach, so I went to pick him up (after she gave him crackers to see if that would help, and he started feeling worse). He ended up throwing up all day that day, so we obviously had to keep him home the next day.

So when he got back to school, he was punished!! It wasn't like he was out for no reason. Does this seem fair/right/okay to you? He's 10, btw

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

WHAT???  That's so insane, I would be PISSED.  He was sick for God's sake, would they have preferred he stayed in school and puked all over their classrooms?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I would be fucking livid. My kids missed most of last week for being sick, how dare they punish them for something they can't help. Seriously soo annoying.

LeahJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I suspect you're not getting the whole story here. At our school, kids have to "walk the line" on the playground if they had two warnings for poor recess behavior and still misbehaved. I would calmly inquire further before jumping to conclusions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wittyscreenname
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I could see making them walk if they were misbehaving during class...they do that here. But I don't think they can do it because he missed...that's ridiculous.

tinkerbellbay
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Hell no that's not right
indyb
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

They shouldn't be punishing him for an excused absence like that,  at my kids school they make them do laps at recess if they are being loud or talking when they shouldn't be.  Can you call the school and ask them to explain why he had to walk?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Assholes! No child should be punished for being sick!
1likeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I would go in and speak with the teacher about that. Depending on the teachers response my next stop might be the principals office to discuss the situation.
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

wtf? I've never heard of anything like this..and it's not like it was at gym, it was recess?! I'd be calling and demanding an explanation. 

sapphire-rose
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Dont get all freaked out, you only have one side of what happened, call the school , be nice, ask about it. It probably had nothing to do with him being punished, maybe in gym they did laps and he missed it while he was out , they were having him make it up..

It could be something silly like that , and freaking out before you know what the schools reason for it, will just make you look bad to the school for no reason other then you jumped to conclusions.

Pick your battles wisely and know all the information before you react.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN