Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What to do when your DH is an alcoholic

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies
Serious question. DHs drinking really bothers me. The thing is in the entire 7 years we have been together, I have only seen him drunk a handful of times. But when he is home he always has a beer in his hand. He drinks every single day, and I would say at least 3 beers a day. I'm not sure what to do because he's not a problem drinker, he isn't mean or abusive, he doesn't go out to drink, he's home with us helping around the house and playing with the kids. It doesn't interfere with his job or anything.
I feel like I have no ground to stand on complaining about his drinking. And I don't know what I can do about it.

Edit to add: in case anyone else comments I said at least 3 beers every single day. He usually drinks much more than that, and he goes through withdrawl if he goes a day without beer.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Bump
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a support group they have

1. Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism 2013 Our annual public outreach magazine answers many of the questions you may have and explains how Al-Anon can help when your life has been ...
    al-anon.alateen.org/is-alanon-for-you - Cached
mylove415
by Viviana on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM
4 moms liked this

Let the man have his beer.  I mean if it doesn't interfere with his home and work life let him!  Maybe beer is his unwind method. 

South Bay Area Mama's Group

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Doesnt sound like a problem to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM
I personally don't think having 3 beers a night or what you described is an alcoholic. My uncle couldn't function without a 6 pack every morning. He would drink from sun up until he passed out at night. He would go to work drunk. To me THAT is an alcoholic not your husband.
hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM

grab a beer and drink one with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM
But it's at least 3 beers.. Like today it's 2:30 and he has already 5 beers..

Quoting mylove415:

Let the man have his beer.  I mean if it doesn't interfere with his home and work life let him!  Maybe beer is his unwind method. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I don't thinks its a problem. He wants a cold beer at the end of the day. When my dh is home he always has a cold beer in hand.

mylove415
by Viviana on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

If you feel that strongly about his drinking then talk to him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

But it's at least 3 beers.. Like today it's 2:30 and he has already 5 beers..

Quoting mylove415:

South Bay Area Mama's Group

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
On weekends he drinks all day long, yesterday when we were on a 3 hour drive he snuck beers into the van to drink on the way, the three is a minimum. Most days and nights it is more than that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally don't think having 3 beers a night or what you described is an alcoholic. My uncle couldn't function without a 6 pack every morning. He would drink from sun up until he passed out at night. He would go to work drunk. To me THAT is an alcoholic not your husband.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN