Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

That's it!! I've had it with my MIL....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
I've posted about this situation before and have gotten some good advice. Hoping for some more now.

My MIL is a huge Debbie Downer. Everything bad happens to her and only her. She's always sad and depressed. YES, DH and I have tried to get her help and she refuses.

She starts talking about all her problems around my young kids (not even DH and I do that) and starts crying in front of them. I talked to her again (in a polite way) about it and she didn't like it, even though I thought we had a good conversation.

So of course she ran to my DH to complain about what I said, but he already knew because I told him. He told her that if she has a problem with me to come tell me about it.

She has yet to come talk to me. It's been several weeks and nothing. Just the cold shoulder. And she keeps acting how she acts and every time my DH goes to visit her or talks to her on the phone it's just to dump all her problems onto him. He comes home sad, stressed, worried about her. I don't know why she refuses to get help and doesn't even notice what affect she's having on her only child. I wish he would come home happy and having had a good time with his mom.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm just going to have to sit down and tell her what affect she's having on everyone ELSE around her and demand she get help.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Sometimes we have to cut ties with toxic people in our lives. It sounds as if it's time to make that next step.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM
I was thinking about telling her to get help or she can't see the kids anymore. If DH wants to see her, that's fine. That's his mother. But I want her to get help. I want my kids to have nice memories of her, happy memories. Not be stressed and sad when they get home.

But somehow I feel that's so cruel and it would definitely make me public enemy #1 with DHs family. :(

Quoting owl0210:

Sometimes we have to cut ties with toxic people in our lives. It sounds as if it's time to make that next step.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:03 PM
It's not even healthy for your husband to visit with her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was thinking about telling her to get help or she can't see the kids anymore. If DH wants to see her, that's fine. That's his mother. But I want her to get help. I want my kids to have nice memories of her, happy memories. Not be stressed and sad when they get home.

But somehow I feel that's so cruel and it would definitely make me public enemy #1 with DHs family. :(

Quoting owl0210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I know. But I can't get into the middle of their relationship. I can give him advice and that's it. My kids, on the other hand, are my responsibility till they become adults.

Quoting owl0210:

It's not even healthy for your husband to visit with her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting owl0210:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Bump
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Sounds like its time for a MIL time out at the least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM
You shouldn't use your kids as a reward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM
I don't even know how to tell her. I hate these issues. I wish she could just be happy. It's almost like she likes being unhappy.

Quoting 1plustwinsmommy:

Sounds like its time for a MIL time out at the least.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You could have explained my FIL with your MILs behavior. My FIL got so bad we cut off ties and moved out of state. You can hurt me all you want, but you do something to hurt my children no effin way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)