Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Please...tell me you can relate..

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son will be 11 in Dec.

In the past year, I feel like he has changed so much...I know he's growing up, but he used to be one way and now he's the opposite. He is/was the sweetest, most honest kid. He was kind, helpful, compassionate...

More and more, he's moody and is becoming very disrespectful in the way he speaks to me. Don't get me wrong, I run a tight ship and there are consequences and discipline when appropriate. I'm his mother and have an obligation to raise him to be respectful and honest.

I'm so sad though. I'm guessing it's the age where he tries to decide who he is/will be, but I miss the old him at times. Lord knows I'm trying my hardest to do what I believe is right. It also hurts that he rarely has issues with his dad, my husband. Dads fun and easy going...not much bothers him (though he does usually support me in behavior issues) I just can't shrug it totally off saying it's the age or boys will be boys like he can.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
singletiredmom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
As the mother of an 18 and 16 yr old, I can say that those sweet, loving babies become hormonal monsters as they age!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

ohhh, the "angry young man" stage....I remember it well..I was told that they start to smooth back out at 22...mine is 24and he did start tosmooth backout at 22, he is pretty decent now, very responsible...all I can say is good luck, you will survive

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Ugh that's what I have to look forward to! :( I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I am having more issues with my 9 yr old dd who is already starting to bud and occasionally spots. She is a little more mouthy now. She is still very helpful though. 

Ds is still easy going, but at 11 and on the autism spectrum he acts much younger than his age. Physically he is changing. Before the end of 2013, he will likely out grow me. 

OAmy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Quoting shivasgirl:

ohhh, the "angry young man" stage....I remember it well..I was told that they start to smooth back out at 22...mine is 24and he did start tosmooth backout at 22, he is pretty decent now, very responsible...all I can say is good luck, you will survive

Omg!!! That's it...the "angry young man"...that's him!

And 22?!? Lord help me, lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:31 PM

yep my son is going thru the same thing. he is 9. he will be 10 in november. but we are noticing a change with him. he is becoming very moody. and is def mouthing off and talking back a lot more. we stay on top of him for it. but he has become very brave and is really testing us. not only that, but I notice he doesn't want me around as much. I use to walk him into school and have breakfast with him in the cafeteria. he loved it last year. but this year he doesn't want me to. he wants me to just drop him off. I am sad he doesn't need or want me anymore. but at the same time I guess its a good thing. it just means he is growing up. he was just a sweet, happy, easy going kid. and now he is become grumpy and difficult.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

thats what I said, but we made it thru...he will be really hard to love the next decade, lol

Quoting OAmy:

Quoting shivasgirl:

Omg!!! That's it...the "angry young man"...that's him!

And 22?!? Lord help me, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

BTDT ... middle school children are nasty little beasts.  
The good news?  It passes in a few years. 

spicy_n_sweet
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting singletiredmom:

As the mother of an 18 and 16 yr old, I can say that those sweet, loving babies become hormonal monsters as they age!!!

This mother of a 20 year old agrees with and endorses this message.............

Seriously. At some point, changes start happening. And no matter how hard we try, what we do, our sweet loving baby boys turn into men.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

my son is 18, and I cry often because I miss who he used to be.  I hope to see that sweet, happy, person again some day, but right now all I can do is wait until he gets there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)