Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it a child's job to financially help their parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies
My DH is an only child, his mom is a single mom. As a teen and young adult he worked and paid half the rent and half the bills.

We got married and he still had a year left of college. He went to school full time (did not work) and I worked full time to help him finish school. He graduated and got a job and we both worked for a while. Then I got pregnant and I quit and became a SAHM.

Well, his mom told him yesterday that it's his obligation to still help her pay her rent and her bills because he's the only child and she never remarried because of him.

I am not against helping her with what we can when we can (we have before), but her attitude has me a bit surprised. I never ever think it's a childs obligation to support their parents.... am I wrong????
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2Jolee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
No, it is every adults responsibility to take care of themself. That being said, I think he should still be there to at least make sure she has basics.... Food, heat/ac, meds...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL I would never ever expect my kids to help financially!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnmommy5
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
She is wrong on that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stefvan
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM

It's not.  I have to say that's the one thing that has surprised me about CM - finding out how many people's parents have kids footing their bills. 

Jensep
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Not wrong at all. I agree helping if she needs it every once in a while. But it's NOT his job to do so! I don't think my parents would ever ask me for help...
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

no, he should not be responsible for supporting her.  if he chooses to and can afford it without taking away from his own family, that's one thing.  but it is not his obligation, that's ridiculous and emotionally manipulative.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

In some familes (and in some cultures), yes, it is. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

THAT IS COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT.

Sounds like something my biological father would try to pull. 

CheyanneW
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM

That's ridiculous.  How did keep her from remarrying?

Rach7224
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I would never expect that of my kids but i also would never let my mother go homeless or hungry i would do my best to help. And my mom has a bit of that same attitude sometimes... But im an only child too, and my parents were together until i was an adult. My mom just likes the attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)