Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Obesity is a decision, NOT a disease"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies

READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE BASHING ME FOR POSTING THIS!

This is what is posted on a billboard in Chicago area.

"Obesity is a decision, NOT a disease"

I know the first thing someone is going to say is "I have a medical condition.......etc"  but think about it... does every single person that is overweight or obese have a medical condition that CAUSED them to get that way, or PREVENTS them from doing anything about it. NO! 

SO i ASK YOU, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS STATEMENT. IS OR CAN OBESITY BE A DECISION AND NOT A DISEASE? DOES IT START AS A DECISION AND BECOME A DISEASE WHEN YOU DECIDE TO DO NOTHING ABOUT IT? AT WHAT POINT, IF ANY, DOES IT CROSS FROM A DECISION TO A DISEASE?

Honestly, myself, it was a decision, one I didnt really realize I had made until It was too late. But in the last year I have lost 60lbs and am still going. I have another 45 to go. But, my excuse is not medical, I am and was perfectly healthy, except I made poor decisions with food choice and lack of proper exercise. Yes I ate healthy Items and yes I exercised, but when the bad outweigh the good, thats a Decision I made. I'm no longer considered obese, Im now only considered over weight. (there IS a difference between the two) But that too, was a decision, I decided to do something about it!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it was anyone's decision to become obese, I think our lifestyles have allowed it to happen. We're very sedentary in comparison to even thirty years ago. We're so busy making our lives easier that we are getting bigger. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Isn't that a decision in itself?

Quoting Canvas_says:

I don't think it was anyone's decision to become obese, I think our lifestyles have allowed it to happen. We're very sedentary in comparison to even thirty years ago. We're so busy making our lives easier that we are getting bigger. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I'm overweight because I just ate 10 Oreos and they were delicious!

RAMOM
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
XD
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM
I agree!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Totally agree its a choice. Even for those with medical issues,if the determination is put forth,weight can be managed with proper food choices,activity,and medications
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Those decision to make life easier were made by others and are affecting the next generation. The generation that is going to be affected the most had no say in the options. They get in the car because their parents tell them too, they eat what their parents tell them too. They stay inside because their parents bought them game systems to distract them. They have a dollar in their pocket to buy themselves a snack on the way to school. What can they buy for that dollar that will fill their tummy? A couple bags of crappy chips. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't that a decision in itself?

Quoting Canvas_says:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Choice
lovinmama411
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

IDK, I guess you could say the same for drug users, alcoholics, hoarders, even lung cancer sufferers who smoke under the same logic. Many "diseases" we bring on ourselves, I think the strength of the disease is something we may not be able to predict though until it is too late. That is when help is needed and it is uncontrolable through our own will. This is where the disease part steps in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM
It is a choice
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN