Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too young?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 215 Replies
I just saw on the news there is a young girl missing in Calorado. She is 10 and was last seen walking to school. But the first thing that popped into my head was, is she too young to be walking to school alone? I know when I was a child I was walking to school alone at 6 and I know now that, that is not ok. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM
3 moms liked this
She had a walking partner
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. No way would my 10 year old be walking anywhere alone. It's a different kind of world we live in today- unfortunately. Kids can't even safely walk around or ride their bikes through their own neighborhoods any more. Sad, but true.

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
We live very very close to the school. I see very young children walking to school all the time. But I can't imagine letting my dd walk on her own. Even at 10. I drive her daily but by 10 she could handle the walk. I just don't trust people. And I try to keep an eye on all the other kids while I'm near the school. I just get so nervous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Quoting Bertha21:

^^^ Did she? I have not seen the news yet. Poor kid. I wonder what happened to her.
Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

We live very very close to the school. I see very young children walking to school all the time. But I can't imagine letting my dd walk on her own. Even at 10. I drive her daily but by 10 she could handle the walk. I just don't trust people. And I try to keep an eye on all the other kids while I'm near the school. I just get so nervous.

^^^ Yep. I feel the same way.
AmberRose1122
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Depends on the area and the distance of the school. My sons school is a quarter of a mile away, and we know everyone in this city. We also have an extremely low crime rate and the fastest emergency response rate of any city in our state. My son is 8 and I would allow it, but it's just too cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM
I wouldn't let my dd walk to school alone at 10. I worry too much because of the sickos out there. Sadly that poor girl has probably been raped and is dead :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Quoting Bertha21:

They didn't mention that. So where was her partner at the time?
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM
I'd prefer for a 10 year old to at least walk with friends. That's what I did at her age.and if there was some reason I was going to be alone, my mother walked with me or drove.
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the area, how far it is, etc.  At 10 I don't think a short distance in a decent neighborhood is wrong...six, yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)