Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too young?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I just saw on the news there is a young girl missing in Calorado. She is 10 and was last seen walking to school. But the first thing that popped into my head was, is she too young to be walking to school alone? I know when I was a child I was walking to school alone at 6 and I know now that, that is not ok. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Replies (21-30):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM
I'm sure that's true but I'm just going off of my own personal experiences. I just wish things were the same as where I grew up. These things really didn't happen. At all.

Quoting ElitestJen:

That's not true. Stranger and acquaintance kidnapping is just more widely publicized and gives helicopter parents an excuse to hover.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

You know, that's really too bad, because when I was growing up, you could walk to school, ride your bike anywhere, play outside alone without an adult program directing every move...Now children can't even make it safely to school without some wingnut snatching them up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM
I let my 5 year old walk to the neighbors house unsupervised. I also let her ride her bike on our street, or play across the street in the park with minimal supervision.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Why is walking at 6 not okay?

You know that abductions are extremely rare and when they do happen, it's usually by someone who knows the family.
dfournier0922
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM
I think It really depends on the distance. When I was ten I walked to school but I had to go to the end of my street turn right and at the end of that street was to school. I had to walk that far for the bus for the middle school the next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhope4
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM
These days, my kids usually ride the bus, but I would occasionally let them walk to an after school function. However, they have their cell and a keychain containing a substance stronger than mace. I also have them in martial arts, and they are not far from black belt. My kids can defend themselves if panic does not overcome tjem first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM
We live in a great neighborhood and I would NOT let my DD (10) walk to school. Her BFF lives 4 houses down and I watch her when she walks down there and the friends mom watches her when she walks home vis versa when the friend comes down here. It's a sad time and no one can be trusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miss-B
by ‚ô•Divalicious‚ô• on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Quoting TheMrs407:

I think it depends on the area, how far it is, etc.  At 10 I don't think a short distance in a decent neighborhood is wrong...six, yes.

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM
I have a 5yo and I do not....but my kids are ridiculously immature. I've met other kids that are capable of that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I let my 5 year old walk to the neighbors house unsupervised. I also let her ride her bike on our street, or play across the street in the park with minimal supervision.

Quoting ElitestJen:

You know that abductions are extremely rare and when they do happen, it's usually by someone who knows the family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
highlandmum
by Spunky on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

My children walked to school at 10 by themselves.  I did not have a problem with it.  My neighbourhood has two schools and many children walking to school, at this time of day it is very busy.  Plus how they walk is by a walk path that connects the two schools together, only two ways to a vehicle in this area.  First is the two walk paths that lead between the houses well used by parents and children going to school, and the second way is across the school playground.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
I see kids outside playing at 5 and 6 alone. My DS is 5 and there is no way in hell! That's not old enough to be responsible should and emergency happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ElitestJen:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Good for you guys! I give my kids "controled independence" as well lol. I have had my sons friends just come to our house and they live clear across the neighborhood. Mind you they are in kindergarten! I find that incredibly in appropriate.

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

We live in a great neighborhood and I would NOT let my DD (10) walk to school. Her BFF lives 4 houses down and I watch her when she walks down there and the friends mom watches her when she walks home vis versa when the friend comes down here. It's a sad time and no one can be trusted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN