Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Too young?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I just saw on the news there is a young girl missing in Calorado. She is 10 and was last seen walking to school. But the first thing that popped into my head was, is she too young to be walking to school alone? I know when I was a child I was walking to school alone at 6 and I know now that, that is not ok. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Not too young at all. Learning to walk to school is an important developmental step. 

GLO682
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM

i just don't like making assumptions like that.

the school may have been really close. i think 10 years old is a fairly decent age to walk a few blocks to school. i personally would not allow my ten year old year to walk to school because im a big worry wart but im not saying that the mother was wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course I thought that but I just felt like this could have been prevented.

Quoting GLO682:

My first thought when i read this was i hope she is found unharmed and returned home.

m0mmyheather
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM
It depends where you live. I live in a REALLY small town with a population of about 1,000. We have a gas station, a crappy diner, a broken down bar, a little grocery store...basically like the stereotypical small, crappy town. Nothing happens here. NOTHING. And it isn't unusual to see really young kids, even around seven years old walking or riding their bikes around town. However, I've seen really young kids while in the city shopping, and it kind of scares me to think that their parents let them take off on their own somewhere like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I think what bugs me most is she slept through the calls from the school. I'm sure she's killing herself for that.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I don't think things are that different, I just think it's more publicized today then it was 15 year ago.

I;m very, very over protective. I can't imagine ever letting my kids walk to school alone.

Quoting Nicoleb9:

You know, that's really too bad, because when I was growing up, you could walk to school, ride your bike anywhere, play outside alone without an adult program directing every move...Now children can't even make it safely to school without some wingnut snatching them up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM
I wouldn't let my dd walk to school by herself where we live at now.
But my dd is only 19 months old and by the time she turns 10 we will be living in maryland.so we will see when that bridge comes.
rnmom4lif
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

my son is 10- i would let him walk to school if he had a group of freinds to walk with but definatly not alone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I am way over protective with my kids, Soo unless the school is directly across the street from my house or small culdesac (like it was for me growing up) And I could see them from my driveway I wouldn't let them. Hubby feels the same way.

agriff24
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM
It said she was walking to meet her walking partner she disappeared before she got to the walking partner.

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM
In this time and day? Yes 10 is too young, and this is exactly the reason why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)