Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How cold is too cold for baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

We live in a very cold area and need to use heat much of the year. With oil being so expensive I am really trying to use the minimum. How low can I keep my thermostat? How cold is too cold for a one year old? I would obviously dress her for the temperature, with a sweatshirt and slippers and what not. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

You can keep the thermostat just as low "for baby" as you would for anyone else in the household.  The only thing is, with baby you need to be more careful to dress baby for adequate warmth.  For example, where you might be comfortable with no socks on in a fairly chilly house, baby must have socks.  

I raised all of my children here in the northernmost part of Michigan's upper peninsula, so I'm certainly no stranger to cold.  Often on this site, you'll see people talking about "too cold to go out to play", "too cold to walk to the bus", or "too cold to get out of bed" and that's nothing more than nomsense. 

kaeleesmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I wouldn't go below 65.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I don't know I live in NC so here's a bump
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this answer.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can keep the thermostat just as low "for baby" as you would for anyone else in the household.  The only thing is, with baby you need to be more careful to dress baby for adequate warmth.  For example, where you might be comfortable with no socks on in a fairly chilly house, baby must have socks.  

I raised all of my children here in the northernmost part of Michigan's upper peninsula, so I'm certainly no stranger to cold.  Often on this site, you'll see people talking about "too cold to go out to play", "too cold to walk to the bus", or "too cold to get out of bed" and that's nothing more than nomsense. 

snivic
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:55 AM

THIS

Quoting Anonymous:

epoh
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:56 AM
If the baby is shivering and his/her lips are blue-ish tinted then its too cold.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I live in Michigan and it's cold here. I kept my thermostat at 66 during the day and turned it down to 63 at night and while we are gone. If that makes you comfortable in jeans and a sweatshirt in the house, just make sure baby has one more layer on than you and if they seem uncomfortable, remove a layer as necessary. One year olds move around so much anyway. Imagine how hot you'd get if you used your whole body to climb around at lightening speed LOL

Geminikiss
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:00 AM
We're in Florida right now and it's finally a little cold but my almost 1 year old hates blankets and socks. When I'm tryin to cuddle with him and I cover us with a blanket because I'm freezing, he kicks the damn blanket off. But when he does let me cover him up, he gets hot quick. He's a little furnace. The A/C is on 72.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrennaLyons
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:03 AM

The same as you dress. And you can dress the baby in layers to keep him/her warm in a cold room. As long as the baby doesn't have reddened fingers, ears, etc., indicating the air is just TOO cold, you're fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Keep a little knit hat on the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)