Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Someone is teaching my 4yo racism.

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday, SO had the day off, so he was around and he was grilling some food for dinner. We have a son together, and our son is black and white. My 4yo is mexican and white.

Well, 4yo out of nowhere decided to start spewing off at the mouth saying "black guys can't be husbands and they're old and dirty"... I don't know if that's something that he can make up, but I drilled him for an hour off and on asking who said that to him or where he learned it from. I told him a million times nicely that he won't be in trouble, but I need to know because whoever that person is, I don't want around my SO, or my other son.

Note that we don't watch a lot of TV and when we do, it's cartoons.

4yo kept going from one person to the other, listing off people who told him this, to the point where I don't know what to believe because he went from my grandfather, all the way to my uncle, to his dad, and a few more people in-between.

Should I Just let it go?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Is his dad your ex and the one who is Mexican?

4yos dad is my ex and yes his father is mexican.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Sounds like my DD telling people they are bound for hell if they don't believe. I know this is something shes repeating because she can't typically even form a sentence that complex and she doesn't even say the words correctly. I correct her every time but she continues.

I have a feeling where she is getting it from. As soon as I've got proof, their face will meet my fist!

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM
It's not racist coming from a child but whomever is feeding it to him is. Wtf....black men can't be husbands...smh

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Sounds like shit kids say, nothing racist about it.

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

AND they're dirty.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's not racist coming from a child but whomever is feeding it to him is. Wtf....black men can't be husbands...smh

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Sounds like shit kids say, nothing racist about it.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Hmm.  That stinks, OP.  My hunch is you'll find out eventually.  Just from knowing them, do you have a hunch about who it could be?

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Don't let go of his behavior, you have to have a serious talk about why that's inappropriate and rude..

as far as who told him, I would quit pestering him about it, and keep a close watch over who he's around and how they act around your son and narrow it down from there.

hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting Kmary:

Hmm.  That stinks, OP.  My hunch is you'll find out eventually.  Just from knowing them, do you have a hunch about who it could be?

The only person I can think of that he's been around recently is my grandad. He mentioned his dad but his dad hasn't called to see him or speak with him in months.

But my grandad just fixed my car and does a lot for me as well as my kids, BOTH of them, and my youngest IS half black.

IDk.

agriff24
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I feel you pain my oldest is 6 and his father is a racists POS and my youngest son is by my BF who is mixed and my oldests father was telling my son all sorts of things to the point where I think my son is now afraid of black people and mixed people it bugs me but I talk to him atleast once or twice a month telling him they are no different and will never be different no matter what anyone says about them! GL
rnmom4lif
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

we had a problem recently with a neighbor who was always shouting out racist comments to some of the other kids in our apartment complex. (thank god thanks to complaint after complaint from other residents and myself he is finally gone) i just tried to explain to both my kids (age 10 ad 4) that they are going to hear awful things like that throughout thier lives (lets face it we cant shelter them from everything) but that they should always remember what they know is right and think about how it would make u feel to have some of those comments directed at you. after our little conversation i never had any trouble with them- even my 4 year old would come inside and say, "mommy, mr. tim is saying those mean things again..." 

agriff24
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)