Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Someone is teaching my 4yo racism.

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday, SO had the day off, so he was around and he was grilling some food for dinner. We have a son together, and our son is black and white. My 4yo is mexican and white.

Well, 4yo out of nowhere decided to start spewing off at the mouth saying "black guys can't be husbands and they're old and dirty"... I don't know if that's something that he can make up, but I drilled him for an hour off and on asking who said that to him or where he learned it from. I told him a million times nicely that he won't be in trouble, but I need to know because whoever that person is, I don't want around my SO, or my other son.

Note that we don't watch a lot of TV and when we do, it's cartoons.

4yo kept going from one person to the other, listing off people who told him this, to the point where I don't know what to believe because he went from my grandfather, all the way to my uncle, to his dad, and a few more people in-between.

Should I Just let it go?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Kids are not racist, that's why. When my son says something odd it's not because he's racist it's because he's 4.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Sounds like shit kids say, nothing racist about it.

WHAT?????????? I have never heard kids say shit like this unless A ADULT taught them to say it! And how do you see NOTHING racist about someone saying "black guys cant be husbands and they are old and dirty"?

AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

BUMP

mantyangel
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This... just ask him simple questions that prove the statement untrue.  Like is SO dirty?  Does he treat us good?  Make him think and prove to himself the statements are untrue so he will be less likely to believe the statements he is hearing wherever they are coming from.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would just explain to him how that is not nice to say and simply not true, point out all the awesome things your SO does for him and you, and your other son and make it clear that if the things he was saying were true then your SO wouldn't do those nice things for him. Then I would just leave it be. I doubt he really knows what he is saying at this age.

iamfreeatlast
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Do not let that go.  I would start asking around and start with your kid's dad.  My kids are biracial and I do not allow any talk like that or anything close to it around me or my kids.  Keep strong and stand up for your SO. 

iamfreeatlast
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids DO NOT just say racist things.  They learn it from idiot adults.   Someone said something to him for him to say that.  Come on do you really believe it is some random thing a kid would say? 

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Kids are not racist, that's why. When my son says something odd it's not because he's racist it's because he's 4.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

WHAT?????????? I have never heard kids say shit like this unless A ADULT taught them to say it! And how do you see NOTHING racist about someone saying "black guys cant be husbands and they are old and dirty"?

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I never said the 4 year old boy was racist I said the statement was racist and I said kids do not say things like that with out being taught, which means who ever taught him to say that is racist!

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:12 AM

I disagree. I've heard things come of of my kids mouths that *someone* might consider racist. Racism is after all in the eye of the beholder. Kids say odd things, not everything that involves the word black equals racism.

Quoting emilysmom8:

I never said the 4 year old boy was racist I said the statement was racist and I said kids do not say things like that with out being taught, which means who ever taught him to say that is racist!

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM

does he sneak away and ever watch tv... family guy can be a little racist at times

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I understand not everything a kid says means what it sounds like, and I know not every time the word black is mentioned it is a race issue. However if you read what the OP said her son said "black guys can't be husbands and they're old and dirty" you will see that there is no way to say he wasnt pointing out Black GUYS and saying something racist!

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I disagree. I've heard things come of of my kids mouths that *someone* might consider racist. Racism is after all in the eye of the beholder. Kids say odd things, not everything that involves the word black equals racism.

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Quoting emilysmom8:

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

TigressLily
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never known a 4 year old or younger to know or care about race on their own. Not sure what world you live in but 4 year olds are still innocent minds and unless someone tells/teaches them things such as difference in race, they don't notice.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)