Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are YOUR kids allowed to play with guns?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are your kids allowed to play with guns?

Options:

NO. NEVER.

Yes. but only fake

Yes. Both fake and real with supervision

I'm undecided. (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 117

View Results

This is one of the big no-nos that seem to cause so much controversy. I always smirk and roll my eyes when someone says how they do not allow their kids to play with guns ever. My brothers and I played with them, hell we even shot BB guns (with adult supervision) and we never tried to kill anyone. And never thought guns were something to play with. So, do you let your kids play with guns? *Fake guns people*

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Yup! They have several fake ones and even before that they would use sticks as guns, and I have girls! 

We have allowed our oldest to shoot BB guns(she is 6), and she even handled a .22 rifle(unloaded with the bolt open) and my .22 pistol and SO .45(both unloaded, clip out and slide opened and locked) so that she would know what a real gun looked and felt like. We have taught them that even if they think a gun is fake, never to pick one up without the permission of an adult and if one of her friends has a gun to go ask an adult to make sure it was fake and they were allowed to play with it. We want them to have a respect and healthy fear of a gun, in the sense that a gun is dangerous if not handled properly. Accidents happen when people are either not trained in the use of a firearm or when someone gets lazy with the rules of firearm safety.

JuliFox
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
We took our kids out when they were 4,5, and 6 and taught them about gun safety and how to shoot a rifle and a handgun. They got to feel the kick. We had them shoot at gallon milk containers full of water, which of course exploded, and then told them to think about what that bullet would've done to a human body. We also made them think about the fact that the gun could not have hurt the milk container if it hadn't been for the human being who pulled the trigger. We NEVER had any issues with our kids playing with any weapons in our home because they were taught a healthy respect for them at a young age. Education is the key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Yes my 4year old has i swear over 100 toys guns from water guns, cap guns, nerf guns, just plain plastic hand guns, you name it he prob. Has it he also has a bb gun locked in our gun safe that hes only allowed to use (we do not say play because it is not a toy)with DH!
singlemom1208
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Fake guns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikkiM64
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it needs to be revised to point out that NO child should "play" with real guns. My children play with fake guns and it is an excellent opportunity to teach them to not point at heads, don't shoot the dog and etc. My son and I have nerf gun fights almost every afternoon and he loves it! I think its a much better way to spend 20 minutes with him instead of parking him in front of the tv.

When they get to go to the shooting range with Dad, it is not a matter of pointing at people, domestic animals... He can focus on real gun safety and enjoy a little Father/Son time at the range. And when they are a little older, an excellent hunting trip!

People have so uptight about kids and guns.... so ridiculous. It requires a little effort on the parent to actually teach and guide your children.... what a concept!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Fake ones yes. See don't have a need for real ones.
pittiesmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM
We have real guns and do not allow our oldest, she just turned 3, to touch it. There's no fake or toy guns here either. She can ask questions and look at them but no touching until she's older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM
We have let the kids play with fake guns, usually water. I have no interest in real guns as an adult and I played with pop cap guns, water guns and other toy guns all the time when I was little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM
No. Not even gun games at the arcaid or nerf guns.
unspecified42
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM
Yes. I tried to be one I'd those " my child isn't allowed to play with guns!!" Moms, but my son had other plans. The day he ate one corner out if his pb&j and turned it into a handgun, I gave up. Lol

He's 8 now. He only has toy guns but may end up with a BB gun when he is a little older and more responsible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)