Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are YOUR kids allowed to play with guns?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are your kids allowed to play with guns?

Options:

NO. NEVER.

Yes. but only fake

Yes. Both fake and real with supervision

I'm undecided. (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 117

View Results

This is one of the big no-nos that seem to cause so much controversy. I always smirk and roll my eyes when someone says how they do not allow their kids to play with guns ever. My brothers and I played with them, hell we even shot BB guns (with adult supervision) and we never tried to kill anyone. And never thought guns were something to play with. So, do you let your kids play with guns? *Fake guns people*

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Replies (81-90):
Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

yep.. he knows not to point his fake gun at people. His great grandpa is also starting to teach gun safety with him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Guns and play don't go together. I have guns, hunt, etc. Those are the only guns I have and best believe they aren't for play.
tarakay0417
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM
My ds has a bb gun and a bow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polemomma2010
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

My son is 10 and my daughter is 7.  They both have a gun and are only allowed to use the gun with us, while we supervise them. 

I know some mothers think that is nuts but I think that children should know how to use one.

Willow.wind
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM
No we shoot real guns. We are outdoors sports men & women. My 7yo dd is an excellent marksmen prone with a 22 riffle. As a family decision no toy wepons. My 5yo ds makes them out of sticks or Legos & that is fine but no others.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Nope, not at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

At this point only fake guns are allowed. However I ensure that the toy guns look nothing like a real gun. We do have real guns in our house (in a gun safe) but I dont want to risk them ever confusing the real with fake for even a second, even though the weight difference should tell them something. My hubby does pull his guns out to clean or to go shoot or whatever else he is gonna do with them so i err on the side of caution. 

vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
You must have boys! Because I swear I could have written that statement. I was anti-gun but my boys made guns out of everything so we finally gave in. We thought making it so taboo was even worse so now our boys have an arsenal of nerf guns, electronic guns, etc.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Yes.   I learned a long time ago, children will make a gun our of anything.  Lego's, rulers, cardboard paper towel holders, etc.  They will chew their toast into the shape of a gun!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jujubear1
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I remember the first time I played w/a bb gun.  I was at a church in the middle of nowhere.  They were having a dinner and singing.  After we ate, kids went outside while adults visited.  This kid I never met before or since had a bb gun.  We shot at paper plates against trees and the trees themselves.  Never thought anything of it. 

On a different note, years before the above story happened, my cousin accidentally shot my brother in the eye w/a bb gun and to this day my brother is blind in one eye. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM

*Rolls eyes* and in the post it said *FAKE GUNS PEOPLE* The option next to the real has with supervision. So clearly they wouldn't be played with. Geez. Find something else to bitch about.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Clearly.... you didn't  :)

Yes. Both fake and real with supervision

Quoting Anonymous:

Clearly I said fake guns. I also said that I knew that real guns were nothing to play with . I swear you women need something to bitch about at all times.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

No responsible parent should be letting their kids "play" with a real gun. Teaching, showing, letting them ask questions sure, but to play? No way. 

The only thing we allow them to play with is Nerf guns, and we take that seriously!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)