Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't make my daughter lunch

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this
She is two and every time I make lunch for her she just plays with it. She'd rather eat what I am eating. So now I just make a bigger lunch for myself and nothing for her and she eats what I eat. Even if I make us the same thing and give her a separate bowl, she would rather eat out of mine. I guess it's true that your kids always want what you have.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lydlou02
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
4 moms liked this
Whatever works, she's eating, that's the main thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Oh yes she eats but she's extremely picky unless I'm eating. If I want her to try something new I put it on my plate instead of hers and she's more likely to eat it.
Luv2BaMommy9809
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Well, at least she is eating something, so that is a good thing.  I have seen some extremely picky eaters that need supplemental shakes to keep their weight up, so be thankful for that, honey!

Not judging you, but my kids NEVER ate off my plate.  I think it is rude and just makes for terrible manners later in life.  I can take my kids anywhere and they are well behaved at the table.  My daughter is 2 also, and has been eating with her own fork/spoon off her own plate for what feels like forever...we put our children on solids at a very early age so she has been eating what we eat for a long time, appropriate foods, of course.  She is a dream at the dinner table, but I feel she is the exception because our cousin' 2 year olds won't even sit at the table to eat.  Their moms have to run around and chase them to eat as well as make them something special...That is bull crap that I would never put up with.  My daughter eats it all and recognizes almost every single veggie and meat.  She can tell the difference between pork, beef and chicken.  She is so funny because she won't just say things like, "Yummy dinner, Mommy!".  Instead, she'll say, "MMM, good pork, Mommy!" or "This chicken is great, Mommy!".  She also thanks me for dinner every night, both my kids do.  They will either tell me that as soon as bring it out onto the table or shortly thereafter.  Their dad and I are big on my kids showing appreciation for what others do for them!  My little one thanks me for doing her laundry all the time, too!  She'll say things like, "OH, Mommy did you wash my favorite dress?  Oh, thank you, because now I can wear it!" or "Oh, thank you, because I was looking for it and was never going to find it!"  She gets that from my oldest who is notorious for hoarding her dirty laundry and then getting upset because she can't find "those" jeans...ugh, teenagers, lol!!

Anyway, it takes routine and some discipline, but it isn't hard at least it wasn't for us and we've done it twice so far.  I shouldn't even say discipline...it is really all about routine and setting proper expecations.  Children not only like, but need boundaries so they feel safe and comfortable in their environment and this also allows them to cross lines safely when pushing boundaries a little bit, they know just how much to push until it becomes all scary land...

GOOD LUCK!!  :-)

ncohetero
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM
I do the same thing with my daughter. I could be eating the same thing but mine is apparently more enticing. Or my husband's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Sometimes I share with my 20 month old DS but he prefers to have his own plate/bowl and use his own fork/spoon. In fact, if he doesn't get a fork or a spoon he is quite angry! lol

nikabear
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM
At least she is eating. Maybe find some finger foods that she likes to eat. Fruits, crackers, things of that nature.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Had that happen with each of mine. They do grow out of it eventually.

brittany208
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM

That's awesome. Kids should learn to eat what everyone else is eating, instead of expecting a different meal to be made just for them! (I say "should" not "this is always the reality")

beerabitch69
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Food is always better off mommy and daddy's plates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quoting Lydlou02:

Whatever works, she's eating, that's the main thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)