Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*ETA*My confession: My baby was born "early" on purpose.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DS is now 6 months old and this is the first time I've ever admitted this; he was 4 weeks early and I made myself go into labor. He's my 2nd, and I was 36 weeks. I was miserable, HUGE, I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced at my OB appt the day before I decided to drink castor oil. OB said it was probably going to be weeks before DS was here, but my body could just tell he was ready. I'd been having contractions off and on for weeks. I'd heard about it, and after doing some research online, I figured what the hell. I got off work, bought some castor oil, mixed 2oz of it with 4 oz of orange juice and slammed it. Worst thing I've ever tasted.

I started having strong contractions about 4 hours later, and about 16 hours later I was holding my perfectly healthy, 8 lb 1 oz baby boy!

OB said I was lucky to not have gone another 4 weeks or he'd have been over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have been able to deliver vaginally. She's pretty sure they had my due date wrong.

I know it's stupid to rush your baby's birth and I don't suggest or recommend it to ANYONE. My husband still has no idea I did the castor oil.

There. There's my confession.

ETA; Because I'm not going to explain it 60 times, my OB didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to deliver a 10 lb baby. I'm well aware women do it all the time. However, *I* do not have a wide enough birth canal to barely accommodate an 8 lb baby, let alone 10 lbs. At 8 lbs 1 oz, delivery tore my pelvic floor muscle, tore my rectal muscle, I needed 40+ stitches, and broke my sons collar bone on the way out. My OB said had he gone another 4 weeks, I *PROBABLY* would've ended up with an emergency C section.
So I repeat, she never once told me no one in the history of the world has ever delivered a 10 lb baby, regardless of YOUR stature, YOUR experience, what you, your sister, your husbands long lost cousin was only 5'0" 90 lbs and gave birth to a 13 lb baby. Every woman's body is different and it makes me sad for the female race that this has to be explained.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM
3 moms liked this

still you know it can be stressfully never knowing whether or not that baby is going to be healthy coming early. I got lucky my daughter was born 34 weeks an didnt need any extre care or help breathing ect. but alot of moms arent so lucky. I know I sounded like a bitch in my first reply but it really does kill me how badly moms want thier babies out an dont relize the real risk thier .

Quoting epoh:

I really would love to carry a baby to term as well, though mine weren't quite as early as yours.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

I couldnt imagine you know how many women would love to carry full term including my self?

Im not having any morebabies becuase I know I suffer from extreme preterm labor in all my pregnancys an start going into labor at 6m onths. My youngest was lucky enough to make it to 34 weeks :O(

Makes me sad to see women not enjoy thier pregnancy when some women work soo hard to keep thier pregnancys going for the safety of thier babies :O(

Okay my rant over an I guess to each thier own . luckly your baby came our okay!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Castor oil is what put my baby in the nicu for 9 days after birth
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Why couldn't you deliver vaginally if the baby is over 10lbs? Just curious....

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I will keep the castro oil thing in mind ONCE I am full term and ready to pop. 

I plan on trying "natural" ways to induce after 37 weeks. My goal is to keep this baby under 10lbs so I can deliver vaginally. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I know it's possible but my DD was 7 lbs 10 oz and I had a 3rd degree year, DS was 8 lb 1 oz and I had to have 40+ stitches. 10 lbs and I don't even know how my vagina would've possible handled it.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

You most certainly can deliver a 10 lb baby vaginally. Why do OBs say that???

But anyways, congrats that your baby was healthy.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Because can-sections are easier for them to do.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm glad this turned out okay for you.

However, in general, such actions could turn out really poorly.

You could land your baby in the NICU.

The biggest issue is not women who may take castor oil though, but a medical community obsessed with due dates as if they are expiration dates and inducing or planning c-sections at unnecessarily earlier and earlier gestations.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM
4 moms liked this

My midwife has said that MY body can not deliver a baby MUCH bigger than 10lbs. I have a small frame and I had a really hard time delivering DS who was 9lbs 12 oz.  I had a 3rd degree tear and was pushing for almost 5 hours. 

Him his shoulders had been any bigger he would have been stuck. 

Some woman are built bigger than others and have much wider hips and can deliver 13-14lbs babies vaginally. Then there are some that can't get a 6lb baby through their birth canal. 

Every woman's body is built different. 

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

CafeMom Tickers
epoh
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I've had a 35, 36, and 37 weeker (she was the only one that made it to term, and with meds). I'm very lucky as well that my babies were all born healthy. I know it's hard to be pregnant for so long but it is sad that women don't consider their baby's health first.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

still you know it can be stressfully never knowing whether or not that baby is going to be healthy coming early. I got lucky my daughter was born 34 weeks an didnt need any extre care or help breathing ect. but alot of moms arent so lucky. I know I sounded like a bitch in my first reply but it really does kill me how badly moms want thier babies out an dont relize the real risk thier .

Quoting epoh:

I really would love to carry a baby to term as well, though mine weren't quite as early as yours.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

I couldnt imagine you know how many women would love to carry full term including my self?

Im not having any morebabies becuase I know I suffer from extreme preterm labor in all my pregnancys an start going into labor at 6m onths. My youngest was lucky enough to make it to 34 weeks :O(

Makes me sad to see women not enjoy thier pregnancy when some women work soo hard to keep thier pregnancys going for the safety of thier babies :O(

Okay my rant over an I guess to each thier own . luckly your baby came our okay!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM
I wish i couldve carried full term. Both of my kids came out needing oxygen. Glad he was healthy
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Well there's no way for them to know my accurate due date after the fact, but they assume it was wrong based on the fact he was a full term baby in every way, definitely not small enough to be considered "pre term", which is 36 weeks or before.

Quoting Anonymous:

If they had your due date wrong you didn't go into labor at 36 wks....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)