Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*ETA*My confession: My baby was born "early" on purpose.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DS is now 6 months old and this is the first time I've ever admitted this; he was 4 weeks early and I made myself go into labor. He's my 2nd, and I was 36 weeks. I was miserable, HUGE, I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced at my OB appt the day before I decided to drink castor oil. OB said it was probably going to be weeks before DS was here, but my body could just tell he was ready. I'd been having contractions off and on for weeks. I'd heard about it, and after doing some research online, I figured what the hell. I got off work, bought some castor oil, mixed 2oz of it with 4 oz of orange juice and slammed it. Worst thing I've ever tasted.

I started having strong contractions about 4 hours later, and about 16 hours later I was holding my perfectly healthy, 8 lb 1 oz baby boy!

OB said I was lucky to not have gone another 4 weeks or he'd have been over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have been able to deliver vaginally. She's pretty sure they had my due date wrong.

I know it's stupid to rush your baby's birth and I don't suggest or recommend it to ANYONE. My husband still has no idea I did the castor oil.

There. There's my confession.

ETA; Because I'm not going to explain it 60 times, my OB didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to deliver a 10 lb baby. I'm well aware women do it all the time. However, *I* do not have a wide enough birth canal to barely accommodate an 8 lb baby, let alone 10 lbs. At 8 lbs 1 oz, delivery tore my pelvic floor muscle, tore my rectal muscle, I needed 40+ stitches, and broke my sons collar bone on the way out. My OB said had he gone another 4 weeks, I *PROBABLY* would've ended up with an emergency C section.
So I repeat, she never once told me no one in the history of the world has ever delivered a 10 lb baby, regardless of YOUR stature, YOUR experience, what you, your sister, your husbands long lost cousin was only 5'0" 90 lbs and gave birth to a 13 lb baby. Every woman's body is different and it makes me sad for the female race that this has to be explained.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Replies (51-60):
DuchessScrat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

A teacher at my childhood daycare took castor oil because she was overdue and her baby ended up passing a BM in utero.  As a result, he nearly died and had special needs, but I do not remember what they were.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Silly girl, your body was ready and that's why it worked! You were going to have him anyways and most likley soon with or without the oil! Those things ONLY work when it's time!!!

LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Glad it turned out well!! But the 2nd one will probably come out a lot easier. Lol :)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I answered this in a different reply. But I am built small and I have had a close to 10lb baby and it was an ALMOST deadly situation. 

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Why couldn't you deliver vaginally if the baby is over 10lbs? Just curious....

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I will keep the castro oil thing in mind ONCE I am full term and ready to pop. 

I plan on trying "natural" ways to induce after 37 weeks. My goal is to keep this baby under 10lbs so I can deliver vaginally. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheryllinn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Multi is that you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Hunny unless you're a medical professional, I'm going to continue listening to DOCTORS with DEGREES about my body and baby. Not some know-it-all mother on CafeMom.

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Glad it turned out well!! But the 2nd one will probably come out a lot easier. Lol :)

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I answered this in a different reply. But I am built small and I have had a close to 10lb baby and it was an ALMOST deadly situation. 

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

Why couldn't you deliver vaginally if the baby is over 10lbs? Just curious....

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I will keep the castro oil thing in mind ONCE I am full term and ready to pop. 

I plan on trying "natural" ways to induce after 37 weeks. My goal is to keep this baby under 10lbs so I can deliver vaginally. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Just because YOU were ready doesn't mean he was. I had an amnio at 37 and 38 weeks with my already 10 pond baby and his lungs weren't mature enough either time for me to safely agree to my medically neccessary induction.

He was born at 42 weeks and well over 10 pounds, naturally.

Castor oil can cause undue stress on the baby. You are lucky he didn't have a bowel movement and get meconium in his lungs.
mom2ljh
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1. Castor oil doesn't induce labor, just poop. It was a coincidence.
2. It's just sad you would attempt to voluntarily have a premature infant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I did the samething but I was only two weeks early. It cleaned me out real good. I swore I was going to go on the table. Luckly I didnt
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM
I agree with the mom who said the castor oil likely had nothing to do with it. I think it was just coincidence that you went into labor when you did.

I had my daughter had 38 weeks - my water broke at work two weeks before my due date. I had to be induced though, because I was not having contractions. She was perfectly healthy. 38 weeks is considered full term.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Eh, I took an anmihook from my doc's office after 10 days of prodromal labor, being stuck at 4cm, and 85% effaced. But, because I was only 38w2d, they wouldn't do anything to move things along. Not allowed until 39w. I s the midwife who delivered my oldest and told her that if I had a fucking hook I would break my own damn water. She opened the drawer they were in and walked out.
So I figure she wanted me to. :-P
I broke my water the next day. And all 8.5 of him was out in 3 hours. Good thing too, he was extremely jaundiced thanks to ABO incompatibility. Doc said if he'd stayed in much longer he would have likely needed a blood transfusion and been extremely sick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured