Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*ETA*My confession: My baby was born "early" on purpose.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DS is now 6 months old and this is the first time I've ever admitted this; he was 4 weeks early and I made myself go into labor. He's my 2nd, and I was 36 weeks. I was miserable, HUGE, I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced at my OB appt the day before I decided to drink castor oil. OB said it was probably going to be weeks before DS was here, but my body could just tell he was ready. I'd been having contractions off and on for weeks. I'd heard about it, and after doing some research online, I figured what the hell. I got off work, bought some castor oil, mixed 2oz of it with 4 oz of orange juice and slammed it. Worst thing I've ever tasted.

I started having strong contractions about 4 hours later, and about 16 hours later I was holding my perfectly healthy, 8 lb 1 oz baby boy!

OB said I was lucky to not have gone another 4 weeks or he'd have been over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have been able to deliver vaginally. She's pretty sure they had my due date wrong.

I know it's stupid to rush your baby's birth and I don't suggest or recommend it to ANYONE. My husband still has no idea I did the castor oil.

There. There's my confession.

ETA; Because I'm not going to explain it 60 times, my OB didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to deliver a 10 lb baby. I'm well aware women do it all the time. However, *I* do not have a wide enough birth canal to barely accommodate an 8 lb baby, let alone 10 lbs. At 8 lbs 1 oz, delivery tore my pelvic floor muscle, tore my rectal muscle, I needed 40+ stitches, and broke my sons collar bone on the way out. My OB said had he gone another 4 weeks, I *PROBABLY* would've ended up with an emergency C section.
So I repeat, she never once told me no one in the history of the world has ever delivered a 10 lb baby, regardless of YOUR stature, YOUR experience, what you, your sister, your husbands long lost cousin was only 5'0" 90 lbs and gave birth to a 13 lb baby. Every woman's body is different and it makes me sad for the female race that this has to be explained.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Replies (751-760):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 121 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I don't think the castor oil had anything to do with you going into labor early. I think maybe the stress made it happen
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Yikes! not something I would do but hey! Its your baby. Glad everything turned out well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 118 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Fyi: this is not the original poster: And oh my dear, where did you go to med school? I want to see a copy of you're degree because you need to go back to school! You absolutely CAN push for that long, and longer! I pushed for almost 6 before they did an emergency c section! And you thinking you're a doctor saying it's not possible is like a slap in the face to us moms who have done it. Unless you know your facts, please just don't say words...

Quoting supasnouts:

Uh, yes.  But when there are so many replies by original poster who allegedly has a 6 month old and another kid at home I start to wonder.  Hmmm.   Maybe she's ignoring that baby or doesn't actually have one.  And your first labor story - sounds like utter baloney.  I'd like to meet your doctor. Because either they are completely incompetent or your lying - which I believe is the truth.  Didn't you say you pushed for 5 hours.  Would never happen.  It's not even physically possible for someone to push that long.  So stop lying.

aheffernan1991
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting splatz:

You can't have a baby vaginally if they are over 10 pounds? What sort of bs is that?

EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. My daughter was a 4 pound 35 weeker and she got stuck after 4 hours of pushing.She spent 15 days in the nicu and struggles with multiple issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I LITERALLY just said "nearly 3 hours" in a reply DIRECTLY above yours. Are you having trouble comprehending English? I pushed with my first child for roughy 2 hours and 45 minutes. If you think that's "unheard of", I don't know what to tell you. This post has been going for days; I've had more than enough time to "make incessant replies" while my children sleep at night, or like they're currently still doing. But I suppose I'm "lying" about that too, seeing as lying to an ignorant woman I don't know and hopefully never will know in real life, would give me so much satisfaction!

Quoting supasnouts:

Uh, yes.  But when there are so many replies by original poster who allegedly has a 6 month old and another kid at home I start to wonder.  Hmmm.   Maybe she's ignoring that baby or doesn't actually have one.  And your first labor story - sounds like utter baloney.  I'd like to meet your doctor. Because either they are completely incompetent or your lying - which I believe is the truth.  Didn't you say you pushed for 5 hours.  Would never happen.  It's not even physically possible for someone to push that long.  So stop lying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadowbug33
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have given ANYTHING in the entire world for my son to be born even close to full term .Instead due to severe preeclampsia I had to have an emergency c-section at 28 weeks and 6 days after being put on total bed rest for almost a week. It makes me so very sad to hear things like this...luckily after a 7 week and 1 day NICU stay I brought home a very tiny healthy 4 pound 7 ounce baby :) he's 16 months old now and the very best gift I have ever been given!!!!
sewalive
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

To start, Congratulations!!!!  Wow, Thank God you didn't go another 4 weeks and yeah, they got the due date wrong! OMG! Good luck. I had heard that castor oil could work but thanks for sharing ( now I can pass it on)!  Happy baby and I'm sure much happier mom, huh?!  ;D

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Wow thats a big baby.  I know how you feel...your body gets worn by the end of it all and I know I couldn't wait to be enduced with my second.  You can only enjoy so much of before you are ready to get that kid out.  But man that oil thing sounds nasty...lucky you didn't puke it up hehe.

ab51304
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Do you really think it was the castor oil that sent you in to labor?  Just so you know, there is NO way that castor oil can physiologically cause you to go into labor.  The use of castor oil only irritates your uterus, if you are already having contractions (and obviously your dates were off because the baby would not have come otherwise) and take castor oil it can increase your contractions.  Unless you are given pitocin or another form of artificial oxytocin your body will not just spontaneously birth a baby.  There is a very delicate cocktail of hormones that must occur which is why they use pig semen to artificially start labor.  It is the prostaglandins and oxytocin within the pig semen (pitocin) which begins labor.  The more you get, the stronger the contractions. 

As far as your tearing and subsequent broken collar bone in your child-Did you receive pitocin when you arrived in the hospital?  Did the doc use any assistive devices (vacuum, forceps, etc.)?  Were you given an epidural and most importantly, were you forced to lie on your back through the labor and delivery, did you get an episiotomy?  I'm sure you likely answered yes to most of these questions, given our current medical model of childbirth.  THESE are what led to your tearing and issues.  Not your 'birth canal'.  Your birth canal is made of elastic fibers and your body naturally stretches.  If you are in the lithotomy position (on your back) you narrow your hips and create a more difficult path for baby to come down.  There is no medical reason to have women lying on their back except for convenience of the medical professional.  It is so they are able to have a clear view of baby coming out, which is also unnecessary.  I have seen this time and again on the L&D.  They pit to distress regardless of our concerns (nurses)and push epidurals to keep the women on their backs.  No standing in the shower or relaxing in a tub to relieve pain.  Just lie flat on your back and do everything the nice doctor tells you to do because they WILL save you from all the pain and terrible agony of childbirth.  And don't worry about all those interventions because we have stitches to fix you right up.

Congratulations on your birth.  Please don't think this is some deep dark secret you have to keep forever.  It likely had nothing to do with the very little castor oil you took.  2 oz. isn't enough to even give you diarrhea, let alone get the baby out!  I would seriously get my birth records and examine all the interventions!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I've already answered all these questions; no I didn't not have an epidural, no vacuum or forceps were used, I did not have an episiotomy. It was literally a seamless labor. I pushed for less than 3 minutes, while reclined. I still had a third degree tear with my DD (3), and again, no epidural, no forceps or vaccum, no episiotomy, and I pushed for almost 3 hours while in various positions on my knees, squatting, etc.

You seem to know my body and my labor & delivery process better than myself and my doctors.

Quoting ab51304:

Do you really think it was the castor oil that sent you in to labor?  Just so you know, there is NO way that castor oil can physiologically cause you to go into labor.  The use of castor oil only irritates your uterus, if you are already having contractions (and obviously your dates were off because the baby would not have come otherwise) and take castor oil it can increase your contractions.  Unless you are given pitocin or another form of artificial oxytocin your body will not just spontaneously birth a baby.  There is a very delicate cocktail of hormones that must occur which is why they use pig semen to artificially start labor.  It is the prostaglandins and oxytocin within the pig semen (pitocin) which begins labor.  The more you get, the stronger the contractions. 

As far as your tearing and subsequent broken collar bone in your child-Did you receive pitocin when you arrived in the hospital?  Did the doc use any assistive devices (vacuum, forceps, etc.)?  Were you given an epidural and most importantly, were you forced to lie on your back through the labor and delivery, did you get an episiotomy?  I'm sure you likely answered yes to most of these questions, given our current medical model of childbirth.  THESE are what led to your tearing and issues.  Not your 'birth canal'.  Your birth canal is made of elastic fibers and your body naturally stretches.  If you are in the lithotomy position (on your back) you narrow your hips and create a more difficult path for baby to come down.  There is no medical reason to have women lying on their back except for convenience of the medical professional.  It is so they are able to have a clear view of baby coming out, which is also unnecessary.  I have seen this time and again on the L&D.  They pit to distress regardless of our concerns (nurses)and push epidurals to keep the women on their backs.  No standing in the shower or relaxing in a tub to relieve pain.  Just lie flat on your back and do everything the nice doctor tells you to do because they WILL save you from all the pain and terrible agony of childbirth.  And don't worry about all those interventions because we have stitches to fix you right up.

Congratulations on your birth.  Please don't think this is some deep dark secret you have to keep forever.  It likely had nothing to do with the very little castor oil you took.  2 oz. isn't enough to even give you diarrhea, let alone get the baby out!  I would seriously get my birth records and examine all the interventions!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN