Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*ETA*My confession: My baby was born "early" on purpose.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DS is now 6 months old and this is the first time I've ever admitted this; he was 4 weeks early and I made myself go into labor. He's my 2nd, and I was 36 weeks. I was miserable, HUGE, I was already 2 cm dilated and 70% effaced at my OB appt the day before I decided to drink castor oil. OB said it was probably going to be weeks before DS was here, but my body could just tell he was ready. I'd been having contractions off and on for weeks. I'd heard about it, and after doing some research online, I figured what the hell. I got off work, bought some castor oil, mixed 2oz of it with 4 oz of orange juice and slammed it. Worst thing I've ever tasted.

I started having strong contractions about 4 hours later, and about 16 hours later I was holding my perfectly healthy, 8 lb 1 oz baby boy!

OB said I was lucky to not have gone another 4 weeks or he'd have been over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have been able to deliver vaginally. She's pretty sure they had my due date wrong.

I know it's stupid to rush your baby's birth and I don't suggest or recommend it to ANYONE. My husband still has no idea I did the castor oil.

There. There's my confession.

ETA; Because I'm not going to explain it 60 times, my OB didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE to deliver a 10 lb baby. I'm well aware women do it all the time. However, *I* do not have a wide enough birth canal to barely accommodate an 8 lb baby, let alone 10 lbs. At 8 lbs 1 oz, delivery tore my pelvic floor muscle, tore my rectal muscle, I needed 40+ stitches, and broke my sons collar bone on the way out. My OB said had he gone another 4 weeks, I *PROBABLY* would've ended up with an emergency C section.
So I repeat, she never once told me no one in the history of the world has ever delivered a 10 lb baby, regardless of YOUR stature, YOUR experience, what you, your sister, your husbands long lost cousin was only 5'0" 90 lbs and gave birth to a 13 lb baby. Every woman's body is different and it makes me sad for the female race that this has to be explained.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Replies (761-770):
Danielle17T
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM
I did read the entire post!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Danielle17T:

Her knowing a baby can be delivered at 10 pounds was added after I posted my reply. Her original post was didn't have that part, hence the ETA in her post. Maybe YOU should read the entire post.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 130 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I have never seen so many judgemental women ! Every women's body is different , ask your OBGYN! I have had two kids and I remember everything my OB told me! Size can make a difference , castor oil works for some not for others! Some women can't carry full term others can! You women who make her sound like an awful mother because she was miserable during pregnancy make me sick! If she wouldn't have delivered her baby, would have been at risk any way ! There was a risk either way! Stop being so sour! No ones perfect!
Flobrooks
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

If the baby was over 8 lbs it was full term.  If the OB thought the due date was wrong, it probably was.  Many people have light periods at the start of a pregnancy so the date they figured it on was wrong by a month from the beginning. Also, if the baby was fully developed and stayed for an extra month as my niece, a 10 monther, they generally loose a little weight, so you would have had a 7 not a 10 pounder. The castor oil did not do it, neither would falling down the stairs as they do on TV  if a healthy baby in a healthy pregnancy was that easy to shake loose, there would be no need for abortions.

KittenKrump
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you, my mom did this with my sister and she wound up not going into labor for another week and my sister had meconium(?). Thankfully she didn't inhale it or anything but it was scary!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 114 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I know i was bein a smart ***! Pesonally i don't think it works @ all never had.

Quoting luvem630:

I doesn't work at all for the majority of people. Castor oil isn't going to force a miscarriage either. I did a ton of research on this when I went past my due date.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah i thought so 2! I thought when you was around or over due date you can try that to help the baby come....not trying to be a bitch but if the Castor oil worked to have a baby early than i guess it could be used as a way to miscarry or terminate pregnancy for those who do not want to be pregnant period.Just a thought....

Personally i had 2 out of 3 of my beautiful babies full term.My 1st was c-section & second was vaginal birth,my 3rd was 2mths Earlie & a vaginal birth and i was so scared something was wrong.I never been so scared in my life.Tho i was so sick the whole pregnancy of each kid i would be worried to hurt my baby if i pushed it along to early.I just could not do it...to each their own. 

Quoting luvem630:

Castor oil only works if baby is actually ready.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 105 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM

If that were truly the case, that your son was ready, you would have been in labor before the castor oil

I'm so sick of hearing "baby was ready so we induced" BS

Quoting Anonymous:

While I realize there are nearly 700 replies, I've already addressed this. I did not have an epidural. I didn't have one with either my DD or DS. I'm allergic to most narcotics as well, so the only pain relief I had was a shot of morphine when I got to 9cm and it made me throw up for the rest of my labor. I pushed when I had contractions, I wasn't "yelled at" to do anything.

I don't know what it is about this forum that thinks they know so much more than medical professionals and that you're basically a moron to trust doctors. My doctor was fucking wonderful! I had complete say in every step of my care.

If you'd read my entire post, you'd realize I drank the castor oil due to MY listening to MY body, MY intuition to me he was ready, that my body was ready. I was uncomfortable, yes, but that is NOT why I chose to "get a jump start".

It's probably pretty lonely up there on your high horse. Enjoy that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Everyones body is perfectly designed for labor, UNLESS you were in an accident that harmed your pelvis.

You and your doc is an idiot. I'm willing to venture (although you'll probably deny it) that the reason why you ripped so badly was because you pushed without the help of your body. You probably had an epidural and was yelled at when to push. THIS is what happens...you rip. Badly.

You should feel lucky your baby didn't have a bowel movement. Otherwise you wouldn't be so smug about how wonderful castor oil was to 'help' you get over YOUR misery. Screw the baby. Clearly it was about you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 105 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

How irresponsible to pop your own water. I realize your son was in danger but what you did could have caused him more problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

I popped my own water. My first ultrasound was done so early in the pregnancy we had an accurate due date. But at 37 weeks, I was so miserable, ds jad gotten so big he was in my ribs and my pelvis. Something just felt wrong.

Can't explain it, but I just knew something was wrong. Doc wouldn't listen, nurse did. She happily pointed oit where the amniohooks were and assured me she would be gone for a bit.

Put one in my purse and had dh help when I got home. Thank God I did. My water wasn't just meconium stained, it had a lot of meconium in it. Ds's heartbeat was 215 and they couldn't get it down.

The doctor commented that ds behaved typical to late children vs on time or early.

With dd I was barely two weeks along when we had first us. Doc stripped my membranes at 39 wks, they swore she'd be over 10lbs.

She was 7.9, and doc admitted she could have stood another two weeks given her behavior. He dubbed her the on time preemie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 105 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM

8 lbs 1 oz is NOT too big. I'm sorry you were lied to and tricked into a section =(

Quoting ChibiMarronChan:

I'm pretty sure castor oil is a wives tale. My baby was 8lbs 1oz also! But I had to have a c-section because I actually couldn't push him out...he was too big. I'm pretty sure castor oil can have some consequences though and doctors don't recommend it. I think it can cause the baby to poop while in the womb and then he's swimming in poo and breathing it so it's not healthy for him...it can cause issues. Thankfully that didn't happen for you, but just saying it so other people don't get the idea to do it. I get it...my little man held on until 41 1/2 weeks...its hard when you just want them out, but don't want to give people the idea that they should do something that could be bad for their babies health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 105 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM

WTF so because baby is premature lets GUARANTEE her to have a rough start by FORCING her out early??? And you know, breech is a safe option!!!

Just because a baby is over 10 lbs doesn't mean they have to do all that crap. My gosh, you two are easily manipulated!!

Quoting momkelly2:

honey...  not that c-sections are all bad had two of them.   and before anyone yells...   dd was premature and breach so automatic C-section.  DS was more of a choice.. but it was a gut choice....    20+ years later I found out had I tried to deliver either child vaginally one or both of us wouldn't be here today.   so DD being breach WAS God's blessing in more ways than one.

now as far as your child...  my cousin had a child that was over 10lbs...  the dr let her go too long.    she finally begged to have her membranes stripped.     she delivered the beautiful baby girl...  how ever...  inorder to deliver that child they dislocated the baby's shoulder, sent the dad from the room and had to warp her pelvis oval shape to get the baby out.   she had progressed too far to have a c-section. 

you did what you felt you needed to to.   not the best move in many cases... but what was needed for your own safety, and recovery.   had you had a 4lb...  6 weeks early child..  that would be one thing.   you had a fully developed child that needed to be born.  

mine were both 4 weeks early...   (not my choice by the way they both picked their birthdays on their own)   and they are fine healthy adults!!    they were early...   under 5lbs each...  but they were healthy with well developed lungs.      early is not always bad...   

and like I made a choice with DS...  you maded the choice you needed to make...   and by the sounds of it you made the right choice.        I carried a twinge of guilt for years that Maybe I should have tried to deliver DS...   but   when I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago..... I found out there was a problem and that guilt is long gone.    it no longer haunts me.   and I feel so blessed that DD was premature and breech....     which set up the plan to have DS the sameway...  

Drop your guilt... enjoy your baby!!!!

ChibiMarronChan
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You know every woman is different. For me and my son 8lbs 1oz was too big! His head coned more than normal because he was trying to get out, but I was not dialating enough to be able to get him out and when there started being problems with his heart beat with every contraction, the best decision for me and for him was a c-section. I wasn't tricked into anything...I wanted my baby to be healthy and alive no matter what that meant. And no...8lbs 1oz is not too big for some women...you're right...but for me and the fact that I wouldn't dialate, it was too big. He was also a week and a half late.

Quoting Anonymous:

8 lbs 1 oz is NOT too big. I'm sorry you were lied to and tricked into a section =(

Quoting ChibiMarronChan:

I'm pretty sure castor oil is a wives tale. My baby was 8lbs 1oz also! But I had to have a c-section because I actually couldn't push him out...he was too big. I'm pretty sure castor oil can have some consequences though and doctors don't recommend it. I think it can cause the baby to poop while in the womb and then he's swimming in poo and breathing it so it's not healthy for him...it can cause issues. Thankfully that didn't happen for you, but just saying it so other people don't get the idea to do it. I get it...my little man held on until 41 1/2 weeks...its hard when you just want them out, but don't want to give people the idea that they should do something that could be bad for their babies health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN