Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why is everyone so overweight

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I know I'm really going to get bashed hard for this. I am going to try and be as sensitive as possible, I do not mean to offend anyone.
I was a stick girl, always so tall, thin, and beautiful. Then I became mom, and lazy. I gained 80+ lbs. It has taken 2 years and a lot of sweat, tears and even blood to get where I'm at now. I completely understand how easy it is to get out of shape.
I'm 28 , and I was in job training the other day. I was the oldest female there, average was about 19. I was also the only female in shape. It is so sad.
I want to know why you personally think obesity is such a problem. Is it the government? Laziness ? What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Replies (91-100):
areles
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Quoting Kazoo22:

i mean that thirty years ago, there was no 'fat is sexy' movement. fat was something to avoid and eliminate, not celebrate, and as a result, people tried to avoid massive weight gain, and the numbers of overweight and obese were dramatically lower than they are today.

i'm not saying fat people should be self-hating. that doesn't do anyone any good. but what i AM saying is if that fat people were not surrounded by other fat people telling them that oh, fat is fine and sexy and we're just curvy, perhaps they'd take steps to lose weight. because that's the way, historically, it always WORKED.

i was raised in an era when being fat was not okay. and it definitely gave me body image issues and the like, and that kinda sucks, but at the same time, i'm nearly 40 and i recently wore my eighth grade graduation dress to an 80s party. so i don't entirely resent it.
kansasmom1978
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I weighed this morning at the doc. I am 159. My goal weight for my height is 140. So I need to lose 19 pts.

roxiekittie
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I just dont know why its so hard to understand, i guess what im trying to say, like all stuff made of wheat or whatever is more money(im not sayin expensive)  than stuff that isnt and until i start my job im just gonna have to work with it! thats all! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Go to the grocery store and look at the junk food in comparision to healthy foods, now think the way this country is which is better for most people????? I am currently having a conversation with a good friend of mine who has to give up her diet because she can't afford the healthy foods!!! UGH

Crystal_S
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

grains ... seriously

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM
I wonder too. This weekend we went away, and on the drive home we stopped at KFC. We saw this family there - mom, dad, three girls and a boy. The kids ranged in age from, I'm going to say, 9-15. All of them except for one of the girls was grossly overweight. She was skinny. It was so weird, and sad. I figured they probably ate fast food all the time, which is SO unhealthy. We honestly only eat fast food on road trips. I don't even buy soda for the house, that too is a road trip thing.
babie113
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I think its a combination of convenient fast food. Witch is low quality food. Lack of exersize I partly blame it on the fact that here almost everybody drives everywhere hardly anyone walks anywhere and those that do are not the really obese ones. I'm from England we don't have anywhere near as many super obese people and we aren't as bombarded with fast food /adds/ and we walk a lot more ...I live in America now I've put on about 70lbs since I moved here and I know its because I don't walk as much and my diet changed and I had a child LOL but my main problem is I have a eating problem as in I don't eat often enough and I know I'm not moving around enough .but I lost 14lbs the last month so fingers crossed I can keep up the changes I made :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Why are you assuming this was argumentative. From my perspective I  simply asked for clarification on what you were saying......I know this is a wild concept ;) 

....and just for fun. 

Quoting roxiekittie:

I didnt say non of that was, why is everyone so argumentive tonight? im just saying its more than that!  i cant just eat veggies and turkey and expect to lose weight, my nutionist told me this herself. I am on a diet that I follow and that is working fine. 

Quoting Anonymous:

May I ask what she listed that wasn't high protien and/or high fiber?

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say though... 

Why is this anon? I didn't click anon! 

Quoting roxiekittie:

Im not talking like that simple stuff, with me its much more than taht, i have to buy high fiber and high protien stuff,  stuff like pasta nad bread is cheap i mean like what i can afford cheap, so i tend to buy more of it! I need stuff thats MENT to help you lose wieght for me its not just a diet change its a whole lifestyle

Quoting svolkov:

Organic food is expensive. Healthy food is very cheap imo. I can buy ground turkey,veggies, and beans for cheaper than a bag of doritos lol

Quoting roxiekittie:

im really bad im like 245 from 180 before that iw as 130 with me it was never food it was kids and pregnancy and stress, i would lose then i would gain it all plus some back! its really hard for me being like this!  i get so many stares and shit when out in public, but i been working out with cardio for 3 months now,  i have just increased it to 45 mins every day and been trying to watch what i eat, wedont have alot of money and healthy food is expensive

ragdoll13
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Its too easy to be fat. They're making fashionable clothes in too large sizes, people hide behind thyroid "issues", there is no guideline fold what food stamps can buy, kids aren't allowed to bully, gym programs have their funding cut, parents sit kids in front of video games, the health horrors of being fat aren't being shoved in people's faces. Lots of reasons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM
I totally know what you mean. My grandma was the first person to tell someone they were fat. I would always say grandma you can't say that! She would say why? If you lie to them they will never change for the better lol. I figured it was because she was old fashion :)

Quoting areles:

Quoting Kazoo22:

i mean that thirty years ago, there was no 'fat is sexy' movement. fat was something to avoid and eliminate, not celebrate, and as a result, people tried to avoid massive weight gain, and the numbers of overweight and obese were dramatically lower than they are today.

i'm not saying fat people should be self-hating. that doesn't do anyone any good. but what i AM saying is if that fat people were not surrounded by other fat people telling them that oh, fat is fine and sexy and we're just curvy, perhaps they'd take steps to lose weight. because that's the way, historically, it always WORKED.

i was raised in an era when being fat was not okay. and it definitely gave me body image issues and the like, and that kinda sucks, but at the same time, i'm nearly 40 and i recently wore my eighth grade graduation dress to an 80s party. so i don't entirely resent it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)