Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I blocked the disney channel

Posted by   + Show Post

and Nick and Cartoon Network. I think these channels are disgusting. The shows characters are rude, shallow, immature, vulgar, selfish, stupid. They don't promote any good qualities. You rarely see parents or portrayal of family lifestyle. When there is a parent figure around, he/she is usually an incompetent, helpless buffoon, who is a blubbering mess over some issue they can't solve independently.  They're not like the old Cosby Show and Family Ties, where the family was valued and vital. Parents were loving, wise, helpful, and competent. 

What do you think about the content on these channels? 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Media Literacy is an important topic. Block TV shows usually doesn't change much - talking about them does.
Moniker
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Media Literacy is an important topic. Block TV shows usually doesn't change much - talking about them does.

As I said before, how many times do we need to talk about them? He knows how I feel about these shows. How many times do we need to have the same discussion about the same shows? Continuing to allow the same shows to be watched over and over just becomes condoning it.  It's an irrefutable fact that exposure shapes children. 

Moniker
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Quoting brittani:

My ds dosent watch much tv. He'd rather play outside. When he does watch tv he watches goosebumps or doc mcstuffins.

As a kid, I read the Goosebumps books. I loved them. I didn't know there was a show.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

If she is blocking these 3 channels what else is she censoring in her kids lives?

Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM
You rather them be on cafemom or Facebook? I love Disney channel!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM
I don't have an issue with the content, I must admit though, I was taken back at NBC family (or is it abc) channels choice to air Pretty Woman. How is that a family movie!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:16 AM
I think if I blocked Disney I would have 1 very upset 2yo. He loves his Disney.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:18 AM
I will agree that some shows are bit much. However, as a parent it's YOUR job to sit down and talk with your children when you see something you feel goes against your morals or beliefs. I allow my 5 year old to watch certain shows SUPERVISED or episodes I've already watched. Also, I don't sit my child in front of the TV for hours, I believe TV time should not only be supervised but limited.
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:19 AM
My 2yo likes mcstuffins. Lol ever since he started watching that he actually plays pretend now.

Quoting brittani:

My ds dosent watch much tv. He'd rather play outside. When he does watch tv he watches goosebumps or doc mcstuffins.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Ya they also had a show in the 90's to go alone with the books. It's on the hub channel. I had all the books. I gave them to a little girl that live down the hall before we moved. Never should of given them away. I kick myself now. Oh well.

Quoting Moniker:

Quoting brittani:

As a kid, I read the Goosebumps books. I loved them. I didn't know there was a show.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN