Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
I think it is a great program. America is awesome because sometimes people do just need a little help
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Replies (11-15):
catchup29
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

I am in housing so I pay 150 for rent but pa takes your cs unless you do it under the table but they get my whole 18 dollar cs check when he does pay it...it's like a never ending cycle tho honestly you have no money to save for a car so you can't get to work or look for jobs besides walking distance and mothers hours and those are very rare. Everyone thinks we just sit around eating Bon bons all day but it's not always like that

Quoting catchup29:

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

It's really not possible to take advantage of...who the hell wants to live off 479 a month?? But I am grateful that it's there otherwise I'd have literally nothing but just saying...they have time limits too

I had a friend who received section 8, and full PA, along with Child Support.  She actually lived better then my husband and I did, with both of us working.  Some people can really make it stretch and work for them.  And when you receive PA there are a lot of other programs out there to help you that a lower income family, not receiving PA can't get.  

I had several regular patients of mine that would talk about the endless cycle and not being able to get out of it.  I do understand how it can happen.  The only way to get out of it, is to take public transportation to a job, find daycare and spend most of your money on that, and the person is probably going to be more poor working for a while.  But there isn't usually much of a choice.  I didn't receive assistance because I had a family that wouldn't help me, but were very, very judgemental about it.  So I worked, I did other peoples laundry, babysat and cleaned houses.  All with my daughter right along my side.  It is hard, but you can get ahead.  

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM
I totally agree it can be done, I have done it. I was fortunate enough to have a dad that would help me by babysitting until he got too sick in July. I did babysit when my son was younger so I could still be with him. My mother won't help bc it's 'my fault' I left my ex husband (he was abusive)...I did things 'right' I finished school with a certificate, I planned my son with someone I loved but it still doesn't always turn out how you expect it. But I have done it and I will do it again. I'm glad you didn't need to get assistance but it does suck when you don't have family support

Quoting catchup29:

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

I am in housing so I pay 150 for rent but pa takes your cs unless you do it under the table but they get my whole 18 dollar cs check when he does pay it...it's like a never ending cycle tho honestly you have no money to save for a car so you can't get to work or look for jobs besides walking distance and mothers hours and those are very rare. Everyone thinks we just sit around eating Bon bons all day but it's not always like that

Quoting catchup29:

Quoting kristiansmommy1:

It's really not possible to take advantage of...who the hell wants to live off 479 a month?? But I am grateful that it's there otherwise I'd have literally nothing but just saying...they have time limits too

I had a friend who received section 8, and full PA, along with Child Support.  She actually lived better then my husband and I did, with both of us working.  Some people can really make it stretch and work for them.  And when you receive PA there are a lot of other programs out there to help you that a lower income family, not receiving PA can't get.  

I had several regular patients of mine that would talk about the endless cycle and not being able to get out of it.  I do understand how it can happen.  The only way to get out of it, is to take public transportation to a job, find daycare and spend most of your money on that, and the person is probably going to be more poor working for a while.  But there isn't usually much of a choice.  I didn't receive assistance because I had a family that wouldn't help me, but were very, very judgemental about it.  So I worked, I did other peoples laundry, babysat and cleaned houses.  All with my daughter right along my side.  It is hard, but you can get ahead.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quebecer
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM

The big scam I used to see with welfare was mothers claiming to be single, while actually having live-in boyfriends. The caseworkers were supposed to do 'home inspections' once a year, but they never actually did them, so I saw a lot of people scamming to get more welfare by lying about their relationship status.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Quoting quebecer:

The big scam I used to see with welfare was mothers claiming to be single, while actually having live-in boyfriends. The caseworkers were supposed to do 'home inspections' once a year, but they never actually did them, so I saw a lot of people scamming to get more welfare by lying about their relationship status.

This.
hip2it
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I think it's a great idea, but needs an overhaul.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)