Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

On a halloween costume? For yourself and/or for your kids. I'm looking online for a toddler costume and seeing several for $50-60. Who spends that much?!

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (51-60):
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

It would be fun, but I'm kind of short on time and energy now. I'm not planning on leaving the house anyways and we get very few trick or treaters here (maybe 10 total, if that) so it's not like I will get to show my costume off. It just doesn't make sense to me to put the work and money into something that hardly anyone will see. I did consider it though.

Quoting brittany208:

OOh itd be so much fun to dress up pregnant! There's so many good ideas out there! I wanted to wear a maternity costume, but ill only be 2 mo along and not showing.

Quoting mewebb82:

I usually spend anywhere between $20-40 on each kid for costume and accessories. My husband and I buy costumes every 3-4 years and just keep them stored so we can reuse them. We usually spend between $30-60 each on ours. This year, I don't think we are dressing up. I will be 8 months pregnant on Halloween and my husband doesn't want to dress up if I don't. I spent $32 on my daughter's costume and accessories and my son still hasn't decided on a costume. He want's a $80 chicken suit but I've told him that's too much and he needs to pick something else.

LTryon
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM
My 6 year old dd is going as little red riding hood. I spent only about $20 on the material to make her tutu dress.

My 9 month old dd is going as a candy corn princess. He tutu was less than $10 to make. She already has the pants (someone gave them to me witha bunch of other stuff her dd outgrew), and the "baby's 1st Halloween" onesie was $7.

My 8 year old ds is going as a hobo. I bought a flannel shirt at Goodwill for $1.99, and I'm just going to use an old pair of his jeans that he's torn up. Then I'm going to make a sign out of cardboard that says "will work for candy".

All of their costume ideas I got off of pinterest. I <3 Pinterest! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMissfit
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

This year, I made DD's and the materials cost about $45. I've spent over $100 before. I buy her what she wants.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I buy used and try to keep it under $15. I just bought my son a Spiderman costume on Ebay for under $12. It's a nicer quality one as well.

MissMysteriouss
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM
I don't dress up.

I either make my kids costumes, buy custom costumes or buy what they want.

Depending, it runs between $40-$150 for one costume, accesories and the matching treat bucket.

I don't have a set limit and I really never add everything up. I just make sure they have the costume and accesories they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illegallyblonde
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I spend more on my costume if I'm going to a great party. Grandma always sends costumes to the kids. This is my first year with a baby. Grandma sent him a tiger costume.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieMom108
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It totally depends on the costume.  And honestly I don't really keep track of how much I'm spending.  Personally, I don't care for discount store costumes because they just look crappy to me.  Depending on what my son wants to be, I've spent anywhere from maybe $20 to $70.  Last year, the total was about $60.  Not sure what he wants to be this year so I have no idea how much I'll be spending on his costume this year.  I don't set any limits though, he can be dress up as whatever he wants to be regardless of cost.

loisl25
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Well, when we relied only on my income we were pretty broke. We used the same costumes for as many years as the kids could stuff themselves into them, and those were from garage sales. This year, we have more spending money cuz my new dh makes a good income an likes to spend it, lol. I don't know what we will spend. I actually already have a cute pumpkin costume I got for the baby at a thrift shop, but I can't find it and I'm sure dh will want to buy her a new one.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:07 AM

UGH, right! SD wants to be Rapunzel this year so I went all over trying to find one that was a reasonable price and most of them were $50+.  Finally I managed to find one at Target for $35... i'll be making the costume next year though, it was a nightmare finding something...and at least making it she'll get exactly what she wants :)

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I spent $20 each for 2 kids.  2 other kids are using something we already have.  DH & are aren't dressing up this year, but I want to have a big Halloween party next year so I'm going to try to find something on clearance for us when it's over this year.  Those $50+ costumes are really cute and warm...but wayyy out of my budget for Halloween.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)