Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think prostate cancer should be given the same amount of attention as breast cancer

Posted by   + Show Post

While less fatial it is THE most common cancer. It is more common than breast cancer. I feel it should be given the same amount of attention as breast cancer. 

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers

Cancer TypeEstimated New CasesEstimated Deaths
Bladder73,51014,880
Breast (Female – Male)226,870 – 2,19039,510 – 410
Colon and Rectal (Combined)143,46051,690
Endometrial47,1308,010
Kidney (Renal Cell) Cancer59,58812,484
Leukemia (All Types)47,15023,540
Lung (Including Bronchus)226,160160,340
Melanoma76,2509,180
Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma70,13018,940
Pancreatic43,92037,390
Prostate241,74028,170
Thyroid56,4601,780

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I agree with you. People become apathetic to it.

Quoting Fire911gal:

My

Dad died from pancreatic cancer. So I agree all cancers should get more attention.

We were discussing breast cancer awareness at work. A coworker couldn't believe it was breast cancer awareness month. He said didn't we have that already this year? It's becoming do prevalent that people are going to start ignoring the cause.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnjalisMommy07
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Heart disease kills more women than cancer. I don't see nearly as much done about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Amen amen amen!! I hate to say this but honestly I get so sick of hearing about breast cancer, yes it is horrible, yes it runs in my family but damn there are other kinds that need awareness!
TexasWife
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

My fil gets cancerous tumors in his bladder.

gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:49 AM

So your saying the GOVERMENT is wrong as far as statistics? http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers

Quoting JDmommyJD:

First off, your stats are wrong. 230,280 CASE OF INVASIVE breat cancer and 57,650 cases of invasive case are diagnosed a year. This is 287,930 cases a year. HIGHER than any other cancer on your list.

Because 1 in every 8 woman will get invaive breast cancer in their lifetime, because it is a vicious cancer, because it comes back alot, because everyone will meet someone who has it and because you can detect breast cancer early (self exams) and many woman neglect them..it will always get attention.

My aunt died of breat cancer.

my FIL just beat prostate cancer.

My aunt had so many aggreive treatments. She was weak. She lost her hair. She lost her strength, her mind and then her life.

My fil had to make a weekly visit to the hospital for some type of special radiation treatment, for 3 months. It made him tired on THAT day. But he still went out to eat and shop after every apt. He functioned, NORMALLY. And now its gone.

My aunt faught with every thing she had, and its not gone- she is.

EVERY cancer is serious, some more than others.

Prostate cancer is caught early 90% OF THE TIME

Prostate cancer is often curable, and 100% of men diagnosed will urvive 5 or mroe year after diagnosis.

The most deadly cancer is lung...but we all know the majority of lung cancer is caused by smoking - STOP SMOKING PEOPLE.

Colon and rectal take second place. And breast cancer has THIRD- taking 206,983 LIVES between 2003-07 alone.

I am not making light of ANY cancer and think ALL CANCERS SUCK!

Just telling you why breast cancer gets more publicity.

TexasWife
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I think it is special k that helps the American heart association with their little red dress campaign. I could be wrong. I know it is one of the cereals and there is a month that they push it. Of course it isn't as big as pinktober. http://www.goredforwomen.org/

Quoting AnjalisMommy07:

Heart disease kills more women than cancer. I don't see nearly as much done about it.

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Absolutely disagree.  It's not just "less fatal," it's FAR less fatal.  Prostate cancer is very slow growing-it can take over 20 years to even become noticeable.  It might be more common (but only because men are living longer, and therefore almost all men develop it at some point), but it doesn't kill nearly the same numbers.  This chart is completely deceptive.  It doesn't give the true facts-like the men diagnosed are most often in their 80's!  You sure can't say the same about breast cancer.  But, if you had said this about pancreatic cancer (or even lung), I would agree.  It is almost always fatal-and very rapidly.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM

LOL.... The stats you used were created in JANUARY of 2012 and were an estimate.. Im assuming off of 2011? The stats I used were created in september 2012.. So maybe not exactly wrong, but not up to date. That or they didnt account for the non invasive?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

So your saying the GOVERMENT is wrong as far as statistics? http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers

Quoting JDmommyJD:

First off, your stats are wrong. 230,280 CASE OF INVASIVE breat cancer and 57,650 cases of invasive case are diagnosed a year. This is 287,930 cases a year. HIGHER than any other cancer on your list.

Because 1 in every 8 woman will get invaive breast cancer in their lifetime, because it is a vicious cancer, because it comes back alot, because everyone will meet someone who has it and because you can detect breast cancer early (self exams) and many woman neglect them..it will always get attention.

My aunt died of breat cancer.

my FIL just beat prostate cancer.

My aunt had so many aggreive treatments. She was weak. She lost her hair. She lost her strength, her mind and then her life.

My fil had to make a weekly visit to the hospital for some type of special radiation treatment, for 3 months. It made him tired on THAT day. But he still went out to eat and shop after every apt. He functioned, NORMALLY. And now its gone.

My aunt faught with every thing she had, and its not gone- she is.

EVERY cancer is serious, some more than others.

Prostate cancer is caught early 90% OF THE TIME

Prostate cancer is often curable, and 100% of men diagnosed will urvive 5 or mroe year after diagnosis.

The most deadly cancer is lung...but we all know the majority of lung cancer is caused by smoking - STOP SMOKING PEOPLE.

Colon and rectal take second place. And breast cancer has THIRD- taking 206,983 LIVES between 2003-07 alone.

I am not making light of ANY cancer and think ALL CANCERS SUCK!

Just telling you why breast cancer gets more publicity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Prostate cancer is extremely slow in spreading unlike breast cancer. Not saying it doesn't deserve attention (just like any other disease) I just don't think prostate cancer and breast cancer are in the same category.
ndirishchic06
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM
SO and I was just talking about this last night... I told him he should contact some beer company (since its a 'manly' drink) and have them like sponser prostate and testicular cancer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)