Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homemade or Storebought?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Homemade or Storebought?

Options:

Homemade

Storebought

Either equally

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 65

View Results

I think Homemade Halloween costumes are cuter. DH says they scream "my parents are too poor to buy me a costume!" Which do you prefer?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
do11face
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I'm crafty challenged so for us it's store bought.

I think both can be cute. It just depends.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Store bought is lazy.

Homemade is creative.

b.futlz
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I can't sew or any thing so I have to go with store bought :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I'd have to disagree that "home made" screams "I can't afford to buy a costume".

brittany208
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

but obviously... you have sewing skills!

Quoting ff-princess:

I'd have to disagree that "home made" screams "I can't afford to buy a costume".

daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I prefer homemade.  Some of my best Halloween memories where of me and my siblings making out costumes.  I let the kids help make their costumes, and they are so proud of their efforts. 

RelaxedMom2-3
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I actually like both. I am not talented enough to make them myself though. Lol

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Either. All my kids have been store bought, last year I made a tutu and bought some wings so my daughter could be a little butterfly but it snowed and we did not trick or treat.

I think they both are great both can look wonderful and both can look cheap. We personally buy our costumes used. I am not going to spend $30 on a costume.

Hippie.Gypsy
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Depends. While I am capable of making some costumes, I am not capable of making others. So depending on what DS wants to go as is whether I make it or not. And we always buy after Halloween too, so he can run around pretending to be whatever he wants whenever, and most of the time he wears a costume from the year before or one I made.

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I didn't always.  my oldest's first Halloween costume was a pumpkin, that I cut out of orange felt and assembled with craft glue.  I drew the face on with puffy fabric paint, glued a green felt hat together for the stem, and outlined everything in glow-in-the-dark fabric paint.  I didn't stitch a thing, because I didn't even have a sewing machine at the time.

and I won't mention the costume where I stapled the velcro fasteners on in the last hours because it wasn't going to be ready for the school party if I hand stitched the rest of it.  and again, no sewing machine.

laughing

my husband looked at me funny when I asked for a sewing machine for our first anniversary.  I just made curtains for the firehouse, and for our kitchen and am in progress of doing our bedroom, the girls' playroom, and a new shower curtain.  I've saved us a ton of money, and I get exactly what I want.

Quoting brittany208:

but obviously... you have sewing skills!

Quoting ff-princess:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured