Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should this CEO be alllowed to fire people if Obama wins?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Replies (81-87):
ceejay1_iz_back
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

First off, I would never vote for Droid Willard, just stating that fact up front.

However, I do not know how he would "know' if you voted for President Obama or not, unless you TOLD him so.  Extorting the facts, and scare tactics, are coercive at its highest levels!

Just don't tell anyone who you voted for.  He is an Asshole, and yes it is very coercive, otherwise, why even send that little email/memo, at all?

Come on all you Repubs. you know better than to say otherwise.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

In general, a person can sue an employer for wrongful termination.   The devil is in the details - in other words, the lawsuit may or may not succeed.   It depends on the circumstances.

A person also can report a company for various unfair hiring and firing practices to government agencies that enforce laws like title 9 about descrimination.   Again, the devil is in the details.  Not every type of unfair action is going to result in an employee being reinstated or the company paying a fine or changing its practices.

My opinion is that if a CEO tells people that they are likely to be laid off if Obama wins the election,  that is not a CEO anyone should willingly work for.   It is, in fact, a very direct attempt to influence how employees vote.  It is essentially blackmail. 

Most people are going to think it's 'ok' if they dislike Obama and plan to vote for Romney.   Just keep in mind, what side you are on politically, doesn't change the basic nature of the CEO's action.  

It is in fact, a very direct type of blackmail and also insipidly stupid - it indicates the CEO doesn't understand how the government works.   A president doesn't have complete power to pass whatever taxes or any other laws, he pleases.   In fact, the Senate and House have a great deal more responsibility for legislation and a lot more to do with what taxes we get.

The CEO is showing an incredible ignorance of how the government works and how it's organized.

JZB
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Hmmm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I never said I was better, just jaded maybe.
AnastasiaKorsh
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course he's trying to influence their vote, other wise he wouldn't have sent out an email that, in essence, is trying to scare them out of voting for obama. He states he encourages them to vote for whoever, but concludes it with "if obama does win, you'll probably be laid off."

If he ere not interested in scare tactics he would have worded it as "pending the election, we may or may not have to make some cut backs." No need to go into detail, it isn't happening RIGHT NOW. It will happen after the election is over.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

The memo he sent his employees says it loud and clear.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

What makes you make the assumption that he treats his employees like shit?

How does it make him "self entitled ass" if his taxes go up and he can't afford his work force?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He is a self-entitled ass.  He probably treats his employees like shit.

bellawomen
by Summer on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

The line that really threw me off standing behind his right to lay off his employees (still his right), but this line "let me share a few facts that might help you decide what is in your best interest".  Trust me, he as a man who doesn't even know his employees personally does NOT know what is best for them.

Not to mention his letter has at least a couple of lies that I saw.  For one, 1% do not create the most jobs, small business owners do.  Small business owners are not in the 1%.  I am assured he doesn't pay 50% of his income/profits to taxes either.  They will not be NEW taxes, the Obama admin will just choose not to extend the Bush tax cuts to the super-rich who just put the money in the bank anyway to sit there.  They are not spending it.

Oh and just to add salt to a wound he ends his letter with "If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about."  If that is just not condescending, I don't know what is.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

Quoting bellawomen:

Eh the guy is a douche. The email was cowardly. It was sent to persuade voting.

I did not see it that way. 

He did not tell them who to vote for. 

He spelled out what would happen if Obamas tax plan goes into effect. 

He is not making them declare who they ar voting for and then firing them based on that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)