Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stranger Danger should still be taught to kids!

Posted by   + Show Post

I can't help but wonder, with all the recent news of kidnappings, how these guys got these kids. The missing girl in Colorado is very close to home being but a couple hours away. The same day a girl went missing from Cody, WY. She was later found and it's come out that she got in a strangers car because he asked her to help him find his dog.

Growing up we had a code word. We didn't get in the car with anyone who did not know the code word. We did not help people find lost dogs. We gave directions from the side walk. We knew to run screaming if someone approached us. My siblings and I would never have been that girl taken and raped in Cody, WY. My children will not be either. I will teach them as I was taught.

Are people just not doing that anymore?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

So you think kids should just be able to tell who is bad and who is good??? The guy who took the girl in Cody, WY was 65 and reminded her of her grandpa. He then raped her and left her in the wilderness to die. She would have if hunters hadn't found her.

Quoting Kitschy:

They teach it in schools. I for one don't teach stranger danger and I'm not looking forward to them learning it in school. I think stranger danger is actually detrimental and weakens the senses to be able to protect oneself against actual danger by making all strangers the culprit. I think the message is confusing at best and not well thought out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I don't let my kids out of the yard and still teach them stranger danger.  I was approached as a child and because of stranger danger lessons, I knew not to go anywhere near him.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM
I talked to all my kids about it. But to scare them I said the people that would try to grab then have worms lol. My kids hate worms. That scared then from peeing in my tub also. But they walk home from school with me.
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I was taught the exact same thing and have taught my kids the same thing.

Although I don't think it's safe for anyone to say it wouldn't happen to their kids...

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I don't teach my kids traditional "Stranger Danger" as in, I don't teach them to be afraid of all strangers. I teach them common sense and self defense. They are never to get into anyone's car unless it has been approved by me, their dad or a step parent (in the case of the older two) even if it is a family friend. They are never to approach a strange car or even a known car unless approved by the same people and they are never to walk away with someone other than a parent....they know how to react if they are grabbed or uncomfortable and if something is illegal, immoral, or makes them feel uncomfortable they are not to comply, no matter who it telling them to do it.

Schleetle
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I'm not sure if the school teaches it, but my son's Tae Kwon do school taught stranger safety. The owner did a lot of free events about it that were open to the community. Usually once every 6 weeks. They'd do a demonstration, have police there for meet/greet, hand out DVDs about stranger safety (including being safe online), and they'd show the kids the best way to get out of the grasp of an adult if they were grabbed. It was fun for the kids, and good information too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beerabitch69
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Mine know. And have ways been taught.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Couple times a year we had cops come to my elementary school and talk to us about it.

One year I think I was in about the 3rd grade. My grandma got held up and asked my then bff's dad to pick me up with his dd. I hadn't been told previously and refused to get in the car with him. (No code word, we used a different word each time someone else picked me up. Even if it was the same person.) I made him get out and go to the office and had them call my grandma. It took like an hour bc cell phones were just starting to get popular and at that time, you turned it on when you needed it and turned it off when you were done.

Geez. That was only maybe 15 years ago? At most?

Quoting furbabymum:

I remember watching educational videos in school on this as well. Did the schools stop teaching it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I've been teaching my stepson that no adult that he does not know has the right to approach him. I told him it is better to be perceived as rude than to have something bad happen. I also taught him to shout "FIRE!" instead of "HELP!" if something happens.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I was taught stranger danger and I will be teaching DD this too.  She is 2 and to a certain extent she does it instinctively, so if she does not know you or is not "okayed" by me, DH, my parents, brother or in-laws she stays away.  I think it's important to teach kids how to be street smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)