Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

refusing to say sorry

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

i have a 2.5 yr old dd and she has always been very quick to say sorry, or please, thank you, you are welcome..... but the past week or so she is VERY defiant about it. i have tried taking her toys away. i have tried putting her in her room; tried taking tv privelages away.... nothing works. she has also started ignoring when we ask her to put her toys away or something.... any advice??? i dunno how to get through to her.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

As mean as it sounds, I didn't answer my child unless he said please, and if he didn't say thank you I would take away the sippy cup (ex of what he had wanted.) He learned really quickly momma wont playing

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

When you ask her to do something, get down eye level and make sure there are no distractions (tv) Say Please pick up your toys? Wait a minute and ask Did you hear me ? hopefully she says yes. Then you ask her What did mommy say ? then she should repeat it. say thank you now please go do it. If she doesn't you look at her and in a stern voice say I asked you nicely to pick up your toys. Now I am telling you ! GO pick up your toys ! if she doesn't. you take her by the hand and walk her to the corner and have her sit. you tell her when she is ready to apologize for not listening and ready to pick up she may get up. you leave her and walk away. You do not talk to her. If she gets up you walk her back sit her down and repeat. This may take many tried but I promise if you follow through she will catch on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
.....she's 2.5.... welcome to hell.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM
I don't expect a "thank you" over every action I perform for my child. So I'm no help.
smallfry3280
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM

thank you i will try this

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

When you ask her to do something, get down eye level and make sure there are no distractions (tv) Say Please pick up your toys? Wait a minute and ask Did you hear me ? hopefully she says yes. Then you ask her What did mommy say ? then she should repeat it. say thank you now please go do it. If she doesn't you look at her and in a stern voice say I asked you nicely to pick up your toys. Now I am telling you ! GO pick up your toys ! if she doesn't. you take her by the hand and walk her to the corner and have her sit. you tell her when she is ready to apologize for not listening and ready to pick up she may get up. you leave her and walk away. You do not talk to her. If she gets up you walk her back sit her down and repeat. This may take many tried but I promise if you follow through she will catch on.

smallfry3280
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM

yeah i need to do this with her

Quoting lilmoosesmom:

As mean as it sounds, I didn't answer my child unless he said please, and if he didn't say thank you I would take away the sippy cup (ex of what he had wanted.) He learned really quickly momma wont playing

smallfry3280
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

not every action, but when she hits her 5 month old brother she needs to say i am sorry. if she wants something done she should say please. she went from saying it to refusing to say it. i don't think i am expecting too much.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't expect a "thank you" over every action I perform for my child. So I'm no help.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I say "pardon me?" until they do the right action. or in the case of sorry I make them sit in time out until they say sorry. the time outs are as many minutes as they are old and at the end of the time out I ask them to say sorry to whatever/whoever and if they don't back into timeout they go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN