Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Locking your toddler in his/her room?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this from another group.  

If your almost 2 year old could climb out of his crib, and get out of the baby gates at night, is it ok to just lock him/her in their room, even with a baby monitor inside of their room? 

I don't do this, my kids usually stay in their beds at night, so I don't have this problem yet.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
pce68
by Patti on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I wouldn't lock them in but you could put a sensor on the door so you would know if they left their room, maybe. My dd slept with me at 2, so I didn't have the problem of her getting up at night and getting into stuff.

Shermy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

That seems like it could go terribly, terribly wrong. 

popomill
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Um...no. I could see that causing some problems later on. If they climb out of the crib, just put them in a bed. That's what I did when my son was almost big enough to climb out, he loved it so much he stayed in his bed. Lol. And yes, I understand that you're not doing this, but that is what I would say to someone who does do it.

blondie805
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Absolutely Not!!!!!!!!

minecraft
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I never had a problem with my kids getting up in the middle of the night. They did once or twice but always came in my room.

mama2ameira
by captain underpants on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM
no dd walks to my moms room and goes amd lays with her if she wakes up which is rare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes it's okay... I did it for my oldest when he was 13 months. He could get out of his crib and twice got up without me knowing, one time opening the front door.
I decided it was safer for him to be in there than accidentally turning on the stove or getting out. I put the child knob thing on the inside of the door so it wasn't locked on my side.. I waited till he was asleep to do it and would wake up to him playing with his toys through the monitor, it worked well for a few months and then he learned to play in his room till I came..
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM
I did this with my oldest when we switched him to a toddler bed. We kept the door locked until he fell asleep, then unlocked it.

Overnight, no I would not keep it locked.
Apollos82
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM
I know someone who had 6 kids. Her husband was a fire fighter.

Two things happened with them to really make me want to NEVER lock my kids in their room:

Three of her boys shared a room. She locked the youngest one in the room for his nap and the lock got jammed! She had to call the --you guessed it-- fire department and they had to come open the door. Her husband got in big trouble.

Also....it came out, after years of her locking these boys in their rooms when they wouldn't stay, that her oldest son was sexually abusing the other two, and she had locked them in the same room together. They literally had no escape!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting megan71108:Door gets jammed and there's a fire??? Then what

In a fire it's best to have door close and children to stay in their beds so in either case having the door "locked" wouldn't be a negative. If the door jammed, you would kick it down, trust me!
My kids don't have locks not their doors, I would have to use a child knob so no jamming would happen but they are older now, so it's unneeded.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)