Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Locking your toddler in his/her room?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this from another group.  

If your almost 2 year old could climb out of his crib, and get out of the baby gates at night, is it ok to just lock him/her in their room, even with a baby monitor inside of their room? 

I don't do this, my kids usually stay in their beds at night, so I don't have this problem yet.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

NOPE!!  Our house was NOT a prison.  I had a child that at 13 months had his second set of tubes put in his ears.  They said nothing happened, but he came out hysterical, and if I tried to put him in his crib to sleep, he would cling to me and scream and scream and scream.  He would not allow me to put him in his crib.  He was also afraid to be alone, he had to be in the same room with someone at all times, otherwise he would get hysterical.  He was not this way before the surgery.

Our solution was to buy a toddler bed, my husband shortened the legs, and put it next to our bed.  I would lay down on our bed and he would lay in his and I would put my hand on him, and he would relax and go to sleep.  In the middle of the night he would wake up and get so upset and all I had to do was say Mommy's here, go back to sleep, and he would lay back down and go to sleep.

There are ways to get around a child escaping their beds, you just need to be inventive.

phoenixallison
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM
I say no I was traumatized as a child by being locked in rooms for punishment.
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM
No. I just used a combination of a baby gate and bells on the doorknob. With all of the commotion I was always up before she'd actually manage to get out of her room
cindylou15
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:48 AM
No...but with my oldest I had to put bells on all the doors cause she was a quiet sneaky one...lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:26 AM
I'm not saying I agree, but what is the difference between an unscalable gate and a locked door?

Quoting ff-princess:

no, it's not okay.  they make gates that screw into the doorframe, and are pretty unscalable.  there is always a better solution to be found than locking a small child in their room. 

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I dont know if its illegal, but we did it.  We would leave our daughters door open, but she would get up - and she was quiet.  We had to stack two baby gates up so she couldnt get out of her room.  We also used a chain lock on her door so she could only open the door a couple of inches but couldnt get out - cuz she would wander soo much.

roardiva
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:41 AM
I've used the door knob locks before but that didn't last long my oldest (3 at the time) figured out how to break them off lol I've never used an actual lock. And I don't think I would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley0523
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

no i would not do it i think its very cruel to lock a child in their room.I would figure out a different solution to solve the problem

shudderette
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I did it once and regretted it. My 2.5 yr old was refusing to nap. He wouldn't stay in his room. I needed a nap and I had to tend to my newborn and just got so frustrated with him that I locked the door. He layed on the floor beside the door and cried himself to sleep within just a few minutes (he was way overtired) and i picked him up and put him in his bed. But I felt horrible. HORRIBLE. I never did it again and never will. Still feel guilty about it. But, live and learn.

pamk5641
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

I didn't do it when my kids were little.  I would just put them back in their crib after giving them a sip of water or juice etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)