Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Locking your toddler in his/her room?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this from another group.  

If your almost 2 year old could climb out of his crib, and get out of the baby gates at night, is it ok to just lock him/her in their room, even with a baby monitor inside of their room? 

I don't do this, my kids usually stay in their beds at night, so I don't have this problem yet.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Hell No! How terrifying would it be for a toddler to wake up, get out of bed, and find that they're locked in their room and can't get out. Can you say child abuse?

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM
That is a great way to cause emotional problems! Why not a baby gate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dextons_Mommy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I don't have this problem (at least not right now lol). My son is in a regular bed (he's 2) and he stays in his bed at night and nap time. When he wakes up, he just opens his door and comes out. I wouldn't lock him in, I'd find another way if him getting out of bed and leaving his room was an issue. 

MommieBre21
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

She said she uses them but he kicks them down, a girl asked this in young moms.

Quoting hargonagain:

amber710
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

No. I would be worried that he would get into something bad or hurt himself. Under 2 is way to little to be locked in a room alone all night. Although, if he can get out of the crib I don't know what I would do. When my daughter turned 2, we switched to a toddler bed. But we were living with my in-laws and shared a room with her, so she never got up because we were right there.

amber710
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

He kicks them down? I have never heard of that. Maybe the gate she is using is cheap or not being installed properly. A child under 2 should not be strong enough to "kick down" a safety gate....

Quoting MommieBre21:

She said she uses them but he kicks them down, a girl asked this in young moms.

Quoting hargonagain:

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Hell No! How terrifying would it be for a toddler to wake up, get out of bed, and find that they're locked in their room and can't get out. Can you say child abuse?

My son didn't find it bothersome, he didn't even try to get out before I would hear him playing with toys and go get him.
cassi_d_m
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM
I would be too scared someone to call CPS.

I think its a horrible idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
other_mother
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

No.  I shut their door and tied bells to the door knob so they couldn't pull any ninja shit.

I never wanted my children to feel trapped in their rooms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM
I use to when my dd was younger before I had two. She would be in bed ad then come out into the living room a million times. So I started locking in her. But she didn't scream or anything. She got the point and went to bed. But I always unlocked after 20 minutes and I knew she was sleeping.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN