Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Locking your toddler in his/her room?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this from another group.  

If your almost 2 year old could climb out of his crib, and get out of the baby gates at night, is it ok to just lock him/her in their room, even with a baby monitor inside of their room? 

I don't do this, my kids usually stay in their beds at night, so I don't have this problem yet.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Replies (51-60):
lilmom71
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:13 AM

When my grown sons were little we made a dutch door. The bottom was latched at night and the top was left open. It was awesome.

I will be doing the same thing when my youngest moves to his own room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Quoting megan71108:

I would do whatever I normally would, we are talking abiut young children, they can't make life saving choices for themselves.
I don't know what I would do but it would be the same thing westher or not her could get out of his room. That fact has no barring on a break in or a fire. In each case it would be better for my child to be where I can find them and at the end of the day he was much more likely to get on the stove and burn himself or get food and choke than a house fire or break in...
Again, I used the child knob inside the door so it wasn't locked on my side meaning getting into his room was no faster or slower than before... He could've et over a baby gate but didn't understand how to take the knob off (yet:)
Lena-Loo
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I would be to afraid of a fire braking out. When we put Dd down at night she never stays in bed and usually falls asleep in the floor so after she gose to sleep we go in and put her in her bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM
No I wouldn't do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GLO682
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:31 AM

i have never had to do that. :/

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Sounds like a fire hazard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BambiF
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I used to have a hook and eye lock on my daughters room.  I was afraid she would get up and get into something that could hurt her.  When she woke up in the morning she would just tap on her door and call for me "Mama, I'm up!!" and I would go get her right away.
 When we moved to our new house she couldnt turn her new doorknob so I just went with that untill she figured it out (about 2.5) then once she figured that out I was able to trust her to just come get me.

I don't see it as an issue.  It isn't as though I would lock her in her room for punishment or anything.  Just at night to keep her safe.
And imagine if there was an emergency?  I would much rather know she is in her room rather than just SOMEWHERE in the house.

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
It all depends. Are we saying locked as in door shut or locked as in needing a key or only opens from one side? Is the kid content or screaomg and wanting out? Are there stairs? Is moniter a video moniter? I think everyone's jumping to worst case scenario.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BloodyAngel7476
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM

i would not lock them in there room day or night what if something happened. but i did buy a door that was easy to close and still see them. it was a full door  but the bottom or top could close or both so at night i would close the bottom half but never lock it. and in the day my kids would close the top half and play going under the top half they had a blast and thought it was neat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)