Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Locking your toddler in his/her room?

Posted by   + Show Post

I got this from another group.  

If your almost 2 year old could climb out of his crib, and get out of the baby gates at night, is it ok to just lock him/her in their room, even with a baby monitor inside of their room? 

I don't do this, my kids usually stay in their beds at night, so I don't have this problem yet.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Quoting megan71108:

Door gets jammed and there's a fire??? Then what

Kick the door in like a ninja! Just kidding. I agree, it's unsafe.
3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM
It all depends. Are we saying locked as in door shut or locked as in needing a key or only opens from one side? Is the kid content or screaomg and wanting out? Are there stairs? Is moniter a video moniter? I think everyone's jumping to worst case scenario.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM
We had it rigged up where a string was tied to the knob across the hall so she could crack the door. Her door was right by stairs and she could climb over every baby gate. Once she fell asleep we took the string off and left the door open. She'd always come straight to our room when she woke up in the morning.
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Yes I do it. We don't lock the door... We use a device called a Door Monkey. It is a plastic hook that keeps the door from opening or closing completely so that nobody gets fingers slammed. Ever since he was a baby we closed his door and that's what he's used to. But around 20 months old he figured out how to turn the door knob. He also figured out how to unlock the front door, and push the elevator button in the lobby. So, we felt unsafe leaving him capable of walking out without us knowing. I tried the door knob things that are plastic and meant to make it harder for kids to turn the knob, but our door knobs were too big so they didn't fit right which made it possible for him to turn the knob. The device we use can be broken pretty easily by adults, but not by kids... So if anything happens and we need to get in we will one way or another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM
No never you must have read Mp's old post
MommieBre21
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:44 AM

A mom from the group young moms asked if it was ok to do this.

Quoting Anonymous:

No never you must have read Mp's old post

maureen813
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I woukd be petrified of fire!
do11face
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

could they use those things that go on the knob instead?

jj_bmom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Thankfully my two year old is good about staying in his crib but even if he weren't I don't think I'd lock him in his room...seems cruel even with good intentions
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

no, that would be a safety hazard IMO.  i would switch to a bed and then double the safety gate but i would never lock the door.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)