Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So you don't cry it out.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What about when the baby is older and not "crying" so much as "yelling in anger".

My dd is 14 months, she goes to sleep just fine in her crib but wakes up at least once. I come in with a sippy of water and leave the room. She throws a temper tantrum like when she's not allowed to play with something she wants. The longest it ever lasted was 15 minutes. Since that it has lessened to less than 2 minutes.

Honestly up until about a week and a 1/2 ago I would sit in there until she settled down,often falling asleep on the floor, but the second she heard a footstep she was up screaming. It was one night after playing this game from 2:30am to 4am that I had enough and just walked out, shut her door and laid in my bed across the hall. She screamed for all of 5 minutes before she was out without a peep until 7:45.

I was such a sucker giving into her tantrums. We all have gotten so much more sleep now that she is only yelling for one burst instead of repeatedly through the night.

Would you ladies have handled it any differently? Co-sleeping is out because she is a damn bed hog. :)
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

5 minutes is different than HOURS of cio.  heck my 5 month old cries that long when i am defrosting milk for a bottle....a few minutes wont kill a child kwim?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Before I figured out the tantrum would actually be so short, I was sleeping on the floor, singing whenever she peeped. I told my Dh we needed to get her a twin bed so I could actually lay next to her. And sneek away.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know this is bad, but my 2 1/2 year old still has this problem...She usually wakes up in the middle of the night once calling my same and sounding so sad and I go lay down in bed with her and sleep the rest of the night in her bedroom.  I can't bring myself to just let her cry because it's not like she's having a temper tanturm...she just wants to be cuddled :-(  We co-slept with her until she was around 18 months by the way.

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I can't handle hearing my kids upset, unless I know it's just a senseless fit. My youngest is 4 and he's never cio. If he's upset I go see why and I fix it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM
She yells exactly the same as when you take away a cell phone, or grab her away from the toilet. The I'm not getting my way scream. But she gets it just as quickly that screaming won't change bed time any more than it allows duckies in the potty. She just lays down butt in the air and sleeps.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

I can't handle hearing my kids upset, unless I know it's just a senseless fit. My youngest is 4 and he's never cio. If he's upset I go see why and I fix it.

usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:15 AM
This. Eventually DS will understand when I tell him it's bedtime, but until then, ill respond to him when he cries, including rocking him to sleep if I need to. He is 15 months. I did the same with DD.

Quoting MyLittlePwny:

I don't CIO but that's just me. When dd got old enough I could communicate with her on whatever was going on. Worked for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

CIO and not giving in to tantrums are two different things. I'd have done the same thing you did. She'll be OK.

momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM

You did a damn good job. I wouldn't have changed a thing!

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Kids learn to manipulate at an early age.  You did fine.  You check on her. 

MissMysteriouss
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I wouldn't let my kid CIO at any age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Thank you.

Quoting momof3jam:

You did a damn good job. I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)