Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So you don't cry it out.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What about when the baby is older and not "crying" so much as "yelling in anger".

My dd is 14 months, she goes to sleep just fine in her crib but wakes up at least once. I come in with a sippy of water and leave the room. She throws a temper tantrum like when she's not allowed to play with something she wants. The longest it ever lasted was 15 minutes. Since that it has lessened to less than 2 minutes.

Honestly up until about a week and a 1/2 ago I would sit in there until she settled down,often falling asleep on the floor, but the second she heard a footstep she was up screaming. It was one night after playing this game from 2:30am to 4am that I had enough and just walked out, shut her door and laid in my bed across the hall. She screamed for all of 5 minutes before she was out without a peep until 7:45.

I was such a sucker giving into her tantrums. We all have gotten so much more sleep now that she is only yelling for one burst instead of repeatedly through the night.

Would you ladies have handled it any differently? Co-sleeping is out because she is a damn bed hog. :)
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Replies (51-60):
NikLvsNick
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I would have done the same thing.

I used the CIO method with both of my children. I have no regrets about it because it worked for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Do you give cookies when they are screaming for them? She was at the point where if I was in the room but not in my rocking chair right next to the bed she would scream. She just wanted it exactly how she wanted it and I was teaching her yelling got her what she wanted. Every time I moved we started all over. Now though shes getting that mommy will come in the first time, give me my water, but won't come in again so I should sleep. After a minute or two of yelling, not crying, she lays down and goes back to sleep. Doesn't get up again until 7:45 am.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

I wouldn't let my kid CIO at any age.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM
We did the same thing with DD. exact same situation. She is 22 months.
MissMysteriouss
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Nope.

Luckily my kids never threw fits just to throw fits at night. If they cried at night, I layed with them until they fell back to sleep.They never got drinks at night, except being nursed.

Does she throw fits during the day where you give in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you give cookies when they are screaming for them? She was at the point where if I was in the room but not in my rocking chair right next to the bed she would scream. She just wanted it exactly how she wanted it and I was teaching her yelling got her what she wanted. Every time I moved we started all over. Now though shes getting that mommy will come in the first time, give me my water, but won't come in again so I should sleep. After a minute or two of yelling, not crying, she lays down and goes back to sleep. Doesn't get up again until 7:45 am.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I have done the same thing. she is old enough for cio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM
My dd doesn't wake up in the middle of the night, and hasn't since she was 8 weeks old, (now she's 2). Crying for 5 min, isn't what I would consider cio either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM
No I never give in during the day, which is why this was such a bad habit. What started this problem is up until a month ago I would bring her into my own bed. But that no longer worked for us. As I have said before she is a light sleeper so every snore cough or roll over would wake her up, and that woke us up. Everyone sleeps so much better when she has complete silence and no one touching her.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

Nope.

Luckily my kids never threw fits just to throw fits at night. If they cried at night, I layed with them until they fell back to sleep.They never got drinks at night, except being nursed.

Does she throw fits during the day where you give in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM
We don't CIO. My DD is a very physical child. She needs to feel the love, literally. For her, it is even worse if I would just walk away. Ive tried it, but i cant do it. She has genetic issues though, so she is not a developmentally typical child. In any case, we have a good bedtime routine. Bath, pjs, book, and then I rub her back until she falls asleep. It usually takes no more than 10 minutes. She is five. It is worth it for me for her to trust that I am there. She rarely gets up during the night.

My DS is still a nursling and we co sleep. So we snuggle all night. It works for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM
I let mine cry it out and once they knew I wasn't running in for every little whimper they slept through the night.
It was heartbreaking at first but I was losing way too much sleep and losing my mind.
He was about 10 months old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eastcoastmama11
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I let my daughter cry it out when she was I think 7-8 months old.
It took about a week or less before she was falling asleep on her own without crying and sleeping through the night.

It really causes them no harm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN