Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stay at home moms who send their kids to "school"

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

As a stay at home mom I find it so frustrating and pathetic to see other stay at home moms sending their kids to "school" at like ages 1-3. I see people posting about droping the kids off to school all day. Seriously people, that is not school that is daycare. If you are staying home your kids should be home with you. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
Replies (251-260):
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM
This. My son (2) just started on Tuesday. I think it's great that he's around other children. And now I have time to finish up school. He's there for half a day...I get a chance to get things done. *shrugs* to each his own.

Quoting KelliansMom:

my son has been in a "school" since he was 18 months ....it was a parents morning out program ....it gave me a break my husband doesnt come home everynight to give me one he travels for work and family is over ten hours away ...its what has worked for us 

What works for one doesnt always work for another ..why spend the time getting angry about what others do with their family if the kids are cared for and happy and so are the parents then dont worry about it

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshinebee0502
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

While I am not a stay at home parent any longer I would just like to say that I can see putting them in an environment to learn at an early age (possibly not all day for me) I love my kids dearly and place extreme value on their education because I feel it is one of the most important things to their success. That being said I know that I am not the person to educate them. I do not possess the patience and experience to do it in a way I find beneficial. Now I have taught my kids their alphabet and numbers etc but for other areas I do not think I am qualified to teach them. Or maybe I would be able to teach them it but not in a way that is actually useful. I help them with their homework of course but even when I do that I research the best ways and communicate with their teachers the best ways to encourage what they are learning.

blondie805
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

You make a great point! I guess that it's best that the child be with people who aren't lazy than with someone who is.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I am going to go against the grain and agree with you. I was home with my children for 7 years and I wouldn't have changed it.

That being said, if the mother is that willing to drop them off then they probably aren't doing what they need to be doing to help the child grow and thrive. So it might be for the best.

nautica_lucas
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
My kids are 6 months, 2 & 4 and all home with me. I see no reason for daycare. My four Yr old will be in prek next year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I never said you failed as a mom or parent. I live in NYC. I have everything I want at my finger tips. Every area is different. I am not turning my nose up at you in the least bit. We live two completely different lives, in two very different areas of the country. A SAHM to me is someone that is staying home to raise her child, not ship them off to daycare so they can have free time during the day. You had or have appointments during the week that you have to go to. That is different.
Quoting TexasWife:

I was living in a retirement area. There were not things like that. We didn't have a mops group. Everything was 45 minutes away. I tried to make mom friends with the women at church but they treated me as you are now. Turning up their noses and finding some way to make themselves seem better. They had their group and no one was allowed in. Sorry I didn't do as good as you. Sorry I wasn't a awesome mom like you. I had 3 days that were dedicated to appointments a week. Meaning 2 weekdays that I had to get everything else done. Then my weekends were pretty free. Now I work. I do things with my kids on my day off. I guess I fail at that too right?

Quoting Jennyanne322:

So you didn't try to make friends by going to mommy and me classes or anything?

I was 20 when I had my son and none of my friends became moms till we were 26. I went to mommy and me classes and met some really great moms there and did the zoo, parks, museums. I also worked full time once he was six weeks old. He had an in home baby sitter once I went back to work.

Quoting TexasWife:

I was a sahm. I knew no one. I also didnt have time to go to the park everyday. I did do educational things when I could. Just with all the appointments there was not a lot of extra time. my sons dr wanted me to put him in school. he didnt quite qualify for the school district and headstart kepy losing our papers. sorry I didnt do a park, museum or playdate everyday. I guess I failed my child.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Yeah, I don't get that either. If you are staying home and not working. Your children should be home with you and not on daycare. You should be going to the park, museums, play dates, and stuff every day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM

i've known quite a few SAHMs who believe me, did not need to be educating their children at any age.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

mylovey
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I sent my daughter to 3K, and she attends 4K this year. She goes to an actual school, and they actually learn a wide range of different things. Last year we had three assessments to see her progress. Now I know pre-K isn't necessary. My daughter enjoys it though, and it get her ready for Kindergarten. I didn't know there were rules to staying-at-home. 

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My DD went to 3 year old preschool.  It was only 3 days a week for 2.5 hours though from 9-1130.  She really enjoyed it.  They had a set schedule of what they did every day.  Now she is in 4 year old preschool but again it's only 4 days a weeks 3 hours a day.  She loves going and being with her friends.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN